1.5-beta: meta data: illegal character: \64

Timo Nentwig

Hi!

I was about to compile the MetaTest.java from
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/releases/j2se15/

# java -version
java version "1.5.0-beta"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-beta-b32c)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0-beta-b32c, mixed mode)
# javac MetaTest.java
MetaTest.java:4: illegal character: \64
@Retention(java.lang.annotation.RetentionPolicy.RUNTIME) @interface debug {
^
MetaTest.java:4: illegal character: \64
@Retention(java.lang.annotation.RetentionPolicy.RUNTIME) @interface debug {
^
MetaTest.java:12: illegal character: \64
@debug(devbuild=production,counter=1) public void testMethod() {
^
MetaTest.java:27: <identifier> expected
}
^
4 errors

Well, ... how beta is 1.5-beta?

Timo

Igor N. Kolomiyets

It was already discussed yesterday. You should use

# javac -source 1.5 MetaTest.java

instead.

Best regards,
Igor.