1 day gnu, whole life gnu?

Peter

Hi
If my project is under GNU license now, can i change it to
commerical license for the later version?

thanks
from Peter

Stefan Schulz

On 9 Jan 2005 18:53:40 -0800
Hi
If my project is under GNU license now, can i change it to
commerical license for the later version?

IANAL. That being said, here is what i think to know:

Only if each and every copyright holder (= everyone who has ever
contributed so much as a single line of code) explicitly agrees, and you
will always have the last GPL'ed version floating around, which will and
can evolve on it's own.

Frank

IANAL, but in theory, you own the code, so you can license it pretty much
however you desire. That being said, a change of license only affects your
users when they change their code. A user currently holding a copy with
GNU is still bound only by GNU for that version, even if you release a new
version under a different license.

HTH

-Frank

John C. Bollinger

Peter said:
If my project is under GNU license now, can i change it to
commerical license for the later version?

If all relevant rights holders agree, you can license your program under
whatever license or licenses you choose, either sequentially or
concurrently. (I.e. you could conceivably offer the same program under
both GNU and a commercial license at the same time.) If anyone but you
has contributed intellectual property to your program in any form or
amount (and maybe even if not), then you would be wise to consult an
attorney. I am not one.

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)