2.3 missing on OSX

Laran Evans

I just tried to run MacVim on OSX 10.5. It crashed with this:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.3/Python
Referenced from: /Users/laran/Downloads/MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2/
MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
Reason: image not found

I posted to the MacVim mailing list and was told that that version of
2.3 should always be available because it comes with the OS.

I don't remember if I removed it for whatever reason at some point or
something. In any case, I have python installed now via MacPorts. I
have version 2.3 and 2.5 both installed.

So my question is, is there a way for me to fix the issue by re-
instating the default 2.3 location or something?

I'm not much of a Python person. So I don't really know where to start
with this one.

Thanks.

Diez B. Roggisch

Laran said:
I just tried to run MacVim on OSX 10.5. It crashed with this:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.3/Python
Referenced from: /Users/laran/Downloads/MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2/
MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
Reason: image not found

I posted to the MacVim mailing list and was told that that version of
2.3 should always be available because it comes with the OS.

On my 10.5 machine, it is under the above given path.
I don't remember if I removed it for whatever reason at some point or
something. In any case, I have python installed now via MacPorts. I
have version 2.3 and 2.5 both installed.

So my question is, is there a way for me to fix the issue by re-
instating the default 2.3 location or something?

Most probably yes, but not using MacPorts. Those aren't
framework-builds, and not in the proper location anyway.

I suggest you try & get hold of a copy from another OSX-machine (match
teh architecture), and just copy it into the needed location.

Diez

Philip Semanchuk

I just tried to run MacVim on OSX 10.5. It crashed with this:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.3/Python
Referenced from: /Users/laran/Downloads/MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2/
MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
Reason: image not found

I posted to the MacVim mailing list and was told that that version of
2.3 should always be available because it comes with the OS.

OS X 10.4 shipped with Python 2.3 as the system Python.

OS X 10.5 ships with Python 2.5 as the system Python. 2.3 is not
available unless you install it yourself. And if you install it
yourself, I wouldn't put it where MacVim is looking for it because the
System folder is OS X stuff. If MacVim (or any app) contains a
hardcoded reference to /System/.../2.3/Python, then it will break on
OS X 10.5.

Philip Semanchuk

On my 10.5 machine, it is under the above given path.

Diez is correct, please ignore my earlier post on this topic. I have
2.3 on my machine in that location as well; I didn't look closely
enough. Apologies for the misinformation.

I'm not answering any more Mac Python questions as I seem to get them
wrong every time. :-/

Ned Deily

I just tried to run MacVim on OSX 10.5. It crashed with this:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.3/Python
Referenced from: /Users/laran/Downloads/MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2/
MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
Reason: image not found

I posted to the MacVim mailing list and was told that that version of
2.3 should always be available because it comes with the OS.

I don't remember if I removed it for whatever reason at some point or
something. In any case, I have python installed now via MacPorts. I
have version 2.3 and 2.5 both installed.

So my question is, is there a way for me to fix the issue by re-
instating the default 2.3 location or something?

If, in fact, /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3 is
empty or missing, you should restore it. Rule of thumb: everything
under /System is installed and managed by Apple. Don't remove things
from there! I don't know of a particularly easy way to restore it,
short of hacking a Leopard installer image or re-installing OS X. If
you have an unused external drive or partition, it might be easiest to
do a vanilla install of Leopard and all software updates, then, from the
terminal, do a ditto of that directory subtree back to your regular /.