2 Questions about validations

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

posted to: alt.html and comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
followup-to: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

Hello all,

I have 2 questions about validations.

1- What's basically the difference between
- validation, validity
- well-formedness
- conformant document

Basically, what I believe is that a well-formed document might not be
valid but a valid document must be well-formed. A valid document might
not be a conformant one but a conformant document must be a valid one.
At least, this is what I think. Am I wrong here? Do you know of a
document that untangles, distinguish well these 3 concepts?

2- When creating inputs or select or checkbox, one must nest these into
a <form> element. Now, if the form is not going to send any data to a
server, then I just assign the action attribute to an empty string like
this:

<form action="">

Now, the W3C considers this as valid markup code in strict HTML 4.01.
But HTML Tidy warns that this is wrong or possibly wrong. What would be
the best thing to do when a form is not going to send any data to any
server? How then should I specify the action attribute in order to
comply with validation requirements?

Thank you for your assistance,

Gérard