    from the command line... > python3.x myscript.py

    So how do i do this? Is my fear unfounded?

    Thanks

    rantingrick, Nov 12, 2009

  2. On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM, rantingrick <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Currently i am using 2.6 on Windows and need to start writing code in
    > 3.0. I cannot leave 2.x yet because 3rd party modules are still not
    > converted. So i want to install 3.0 without disturbing my current
    > Python2.x. What i'm afraid of is that some SYSVARIABLE will get
    > changed to Python3.0 and when i double click a Python script it will
    > try and run Python 3.x instead of 2.x. I only want to run 3.0 scripts
    > from the command line... > python3.x myscript.py
    >
    > So how do i do this? Is my fear unfounded?

    At least on *nix (including OS X), installing Python 3 does exactly
    what you want by default. I don't know how it handles it on Windows.

    Benjamin Kaplan, Nov 12, 2009

  3. rantingrick

    Terry Reedy Guest

    rantingrick wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Currently i am using 2.6 on Windows and need to start writing code in
    > 3.0. I cannot leave 2.x yet because 3rd party modules are still not
    > converted. So i want to install 3.0 without disturbing my current
    > Python2.x. What i'm afraid of is that some SYSVARIABLE will get
    > changed to Python3.0 and when i double click a Python script it will
    > try and run Python 3.x instead of 2.x. I only want to run 3.0 scripts
    > from the command line... > python3.x myscript.py
    >
    > So how do i do this? Is my fear unfounded?

    When you install 3.1 (not 3.0), it asks whether to make 'this' the
    default Python. Make sure the box is unchecked.

    Terry Reedy, Nov 12, 2009
  4. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    On Nov 12, 2:51 pm, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > rantingrick wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > Currently i am using 2.6 on Windows and need to start writing code in
    > > 3.0. I cannot leave 2.x yet because 3rd party modules are still not
    > > converted. So i want to install 3.0 without disturbing my current
    > > Python2.x. What i'm afraid of is that some SYSVARIABLE will get
    > > changed to Python3.0 and when i double click a Python script it will
    > > try and run Python 3.x instead of 2.x. I only want to run 3.0 scripts
    > > from the command line... > python3.x myscript.py

    > > So how do i do this? Is my fear unfounded?

    > When you install 3.1 (not 3.0), it asks whether to make 'this' the
    > default Python. Make sure the box is unchecked.

    Thanks for both of your replies, just to be safe though i'm going to
    back up everything ... Python 3000, here i come and i hope your ready
    for me!?!?

    Later Guy's!

    rantingrick, Nov 12, 2009
  5. rantingrick

    Dan Bishop Guest

    On Nov 12, 1:52 pm, rantingrick <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Currently i am using 2.6 on Windows and need to start writing code in
    > 3.0. I cannot leave 2.x yet because 3rd party modules are still not
    > converted. So i want to install 3.0 without disturbing my current
    > Python2.x. What i'm afraid of is that some SYSVARIABLE will get
    > changed to Python3.0 and when i double click a Python script it will
    > try and run Python 3.x instead of 2.x. I only want to run 3.0 scripts
    > from the command line... > python3.x myscript.py
    >
    > So how do i do this? Is my fear unfounded?

    Windows determines the double-click action based on the file
    extension. You just have to make sure that *.py files are associated
    with 2.x.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

    Dan Bishop, Nov 13, 2009
  6. rantingrick

    Dave Angel Guest

    Dan Bishop wrote:
    > On Nov 12, 1:52 pm, rantingrick <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Currently i am using 2.6 on Windows and need to start writing code in
    >> 3.0. I cannot leave 2.x yet because 3rd party modules are still not
    >> converted. So i want to install 3.0 without disturbing my current
    >> Python2.x. What i'm afraid of is that some SYSVARIABLE will get
    >> changed to Python3.0 and when i double click a Python script it will
    >> try and run Python 3.x instead of 2.x. I only want to run 3.0 scripts
    >> from the command line... > python3.x myscript.py
    >>
    >> So how do i do this? Is my fear unfounded?
    >>

    > Windows determines the double-click action based on the file
    > extension. You just have to make sure that *.py files are associated
    > with 2.x.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

    And if someone simply wants to check or change these associations
    without all the Explorer nonsense, one can use
    assoc.exe and ftype.exe

    Using them without parameters lists all association information. Using
    them with parameters let you examine and/or change a single association.

    M:\Programming\Python\sources\dummy>assoc .py
    ..py=Python.File

    M:\Programming\Python\sources\dummy>ftype python.file
    python.file="C:\PROGFI~1\ACTIVE~1\python.exe" "%1" %*

    Similarly for .pyw extension

    DaveA

    Dave Angel, Nov 13, 2009
  7. rantingrick

    Nobody Guest

    On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 06:05:48 -0500, Dave Angel wrote:

    >>> Currently i am using 2.6 on Windows and need to start writing code in
    >>> 3.0. I cannot leave 2.x yet because 3rd party modules are still not
    >>> converted. So i want to install 3.0 without disturbing my current
    >>> Python2.x. What i'm afraid of is that some SYSVARIABLE will get
    >>> changed to Python3.0 and when i double click a Python script it will
    >>> try and run Python 3.x instead of 2.x. I only want to run 3.0 scripts
    >>> from the command line... > python3.x myscript.py
    >>>
    >>> So how do i do this? Is my fear unfounded?
    >>>

    >> Windows determines the double-click action based on the file
    >> extension. You just have to make sure that *.py files are associated
    >> with 2.x.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859
    >>

    > And if someone simply wants to check or change these associations
    > without all the Explorer nonsense, one can use
    > assoc.exe and ftype.exe

    That isn't reliable.

    The Windows registry has two distinct sets of mappings.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes contains system-wide mappings, while
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes contains per-user mappings. The
    per-user mappings are checked first, with the system-wide mappings acting
    as a fall-back. AFAICT, assoc and ftype modify the system-wide mappings,
    so if you have a per-user mapping, they have no effect.

    Note that HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is a "virtual" key obtained by merging the
    above two keys (analogous to a view in an RDBMS).

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724475(VS.85).aspx

    Nobody, Nov 14, 2009