4.01 strict weirdness

Discussion in 'HTML' started by notbob, Dec 29, 2010.

  1. notbob

    notbob Guest

    I'm trying to be a good html coder, using html 4.01 strict and CSS and
    all that, but I'm getting conflicting info and code checking on it.

    For example, I use Quanta 3.5.10 in slackware and have it set for DTD
    4.01 strict and use this opening DTD line:

    Fine. Problem is, I have two pages I'm working on. One was cut n'
    pasted from htmldog and modded to the above dtd. When checking it
    with quanta's Tidy syntax checker, no problem. I have another page I'm
    beginning which has the exact same cut n' pasted line in it and I get
    an error. The error free page uses <html></html>. When I use the
    same element with closing tag in the other page I get:

    Warning: discarding unexpected </html>

    BTW, this closing tag is auto completed, so I know it's
    correct. If I delete the closing html tag in the second error-prone page,
    the error goes away. I read on two different 4.01 strict reference
    pages that the closing tag has been "depricated" and/or is "optional",
    which seems to be confirmed by the second page with no closing tag and
    no errors. Why the difference? Jes flacky software?

    The only other difference I can see is, the error-free page has a
    page has only <head></head> elements in it, as I check as I go and am
    jes getting started on it. WTF am I missing?

    nb

    notbob, Dec 29, 2010

  2. On 29/12/10 22:58, notbob wrote:

    > Warning: discarding unexpected </html>

    Most likely cause is that you have an extra "</html>" at the end of the
    document.

    There should only be one "</html>" and it should be the last piece of
    text in the document.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Dec 29, 2010

  3. notbob

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4d1bbd1a$0$23409$>,
    notbob <> wrote:

    > WTF am I missing?

    A URL?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 29, 2010
  4. notbob

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 12/29/2010 6:52 PM, dorayme wrote:
    > In article<4d1bbd1a$0$23409$>,
    > notbob<> wrote:
    >
    >> WTF am I missing?

    > A URL?

    Did you mean:

    WTF is dA URL?

    *LOL*

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Dec 30, 2010
  5. notbob

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ifh717$i8b$-september.org>,
    Gus Richter <> wrote:

    > On 12/29/2010 6:52 PM, dorayme wrote:
    > > In article<4d1bbd1a$0$23409$>,
    > > notbob<> wrote:
    > >
    > >> WTF am I missing?

    > > A URL?
    > >

    > Did you mean:
    >
    > WTF is dA URL?
    >
    > *LOL*

    Sort of, yes, Gus! I meant he was missing the FURL. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 30, 2010
  6. On 29/12/10 23:12, Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On 29/12/10 22:58, notbob wrote:
    >
    >> Warning: discarding unexpected </html>

    > Most likely cause is that you have an extra "</html>" at the end of the
    > document.
    >
    > There should only be one "</html>" and it should be the last piece of
    > text in the document.

    Oh, or you have an </html> closing tag without any <html> opening tag.

    Incidentally, the tag is optional, but *_NOT_* deprecated.

    The version attribute of the html tag is deprecated, as this information
    is now given in the dtd.

    The html element can also contain language and text direction attributes.

    eg: <html dir="ltr" lang="en-gb">

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Dec 30, 2010