A bit OT: Python prompts display as nested mail quotes in Thunderbird

Joel Hedlund

Hi

Sorry to bother you with my OT problems, but my newsgroup reader (Thunderbird) displays explicitly written python prompts as triple nested mail quotes (with lines in alternating colors in the margins). That's pretty tiresome to look at in a python newsgroup. Therefore, I'm looking for a way to display messages from this newsgroup *In Plain Text*.

I tried "View > Message Body As > Plain Text" but that did nothing.

I'm not sure what to search for so I didn't get far neither with Google or the Mozilla Thunderbird FAQ or newsgroup.

Has anyone else encountered/solved this problem? Should I get another newsgroup reader? In that case, which? I'm running Thunderbird 1.0.7 on Ubuntulinux 5.10.

Thank you for your time,
Joel Hedlund

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi

Sorry to bother you with my OT problems, but my newsgroup reader (Thunderbird) displays explicitly written python prompts as triple nested mail quotes (with lines in alternating colors in the margins). That's pretty tiresome to look at in a python newsgroup. Therefore, I'm looking for a way to display messages from this newsgroup *In Plain Text*.
They already ARE "plain text" (I don't know of anyone submitting
MIME/HTML enhanced content on this group).

Common convention (at least 20+ years old) is that quoted material
is prefaced by a ">" character. Agent is configured to accept any of:
">", ":", "|", ")", "~" as a quoted-line (on read, I'm configured to use
"> " as the quote on replies).
Has anyone else encountered/solved this problem? Should I get another newsgroup reader? In that case, which? I'm running Thunderbird 1.0.7 on Ubuntulinux 5.10.
The only "solution" is one that tells your reader to ignore ">" as a
quote prefix... But since 99% of the news/mail clients out there perform
quoting using that character, it would mean all other quoted text would
not look "quoted" in your reader.

Roel Schroeven

Joel Hedlund schreef:
Hi

Sorry to bother you with my OT problems, but my newsgroup reader
(Thunderbird) displays explicitly written python prompts as triple
nested mail quotes (with lines in alternating colors in the margins).
That's pretty tiresome to look at in a python newsgroup. Therefore, I'm
looking for a way to display messages from this newsgroup *In Plain Text*.

Has anyone else encountered/solved this problem? Should I get another
newsgroup reader? In that case, which? I'm running Thunderbird 1.0.7 on
Ubuntulinux 5.10.

I have the same problem, but it doesn't bother me that much. However, a
workaround could be pressing CTRL-U (or View > Message Source); that
brings up the source of the message, with no colors applied to the quotes.

Do you have the Quote Colors extension? It has an option 'Enable
graphical quoting for plain text messages'. If you uncheck that,
Thunderbird will use normal quote characters for plain text messages.
You can also disable the use of colors in the options, but that will
remove the colors for all messages.

Joel Hedlund

They already ARE "plain text" (I don't know of anyone submitting
MIME/HTML enhanced content on this group).

I know.
it would mean all other quoted text would not look "quoted" in your reader.

I.e. they would have '>' chars at line start. That is *excatly* what I want and what I asked in my post. I don't need colored lines in the margin to understand quotes.

Joel Hedlund

Do you have the Quote Colors extension?

I do now. :)
You can also disable the use of colors in the options, but that will
remove the colors for all messages.

Or I can tell it to display colored '>' chars. Marvellous!

Thanks for the advice! You're a real help.

/Joel Hedlund

Dennis Lee Bieber

I.e. they would have '>' chars at line start. That is *excatly* what I want and what I asked in my post. I don't need colored lines in the margin to understand quotes.

I appear to have misunderstood the coloring system you were
seeing... I'd taken the initial comment of "colored lines" to mean the
line of text (the row) became colored... Not that the quote markers were
being replaced with colored "revision bar" type markings.