A CustomValidator question.

cn_tomcat

I have few CustomValidators and other Validators on one of my page.
when the page loaded, I use
document.getElementById("btnValidate").click() to auto validate data on
the screen. after that, user will have to click the "Validate" button
to do validation. whet confuse me is, the
document.getElementById("btnValidate").click() fire up both server side
validation code and client side validation code at same time, but when
user manually click the "Validation" button server side validation
would not fire until all of the client side error get cleared. I think
the serverside validation shouldn't fire until all the client side
validation passed. so how can I prevent the serverside validation to
fire when document.getElementById("btnValidate").click() run?

thanks