A framework for recording, editing, and executing macros in Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jason Whitlark, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. One of the benefits of python always thrown about is how easy it is to
    use as a macro language. While this certainly has wide applicably, I
    have always been interested in a little more; namely, the ability to
    record and then edit macros, as in MS Word, Excel, etc. A recent post
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=
    convinced me that this was possible, so I spend a few hours this
    weekend and hacked up a basic system as a proof of concept.

    While I was doing this, I found nothing on the net about the
    particulars of what I was trying to do. While it hasn't been too
    hard, I feel that there should be a document of the general techniques
    possible, what design decisions affect this, (eg. Command pattern,
    events, and direct calls to an underlying class.), and other relevant
    points. While I would be willing to write this, I feel that I do not
    know enough about what other people might need from this.

    My request is that you post your thoughts on the subject, different
    ways to do it, what might be useful in such a framework, whether this
    is worth making a full project like py, formerly pycrust, or if it
    should just be posted on the cookbook sites, etc.

    Please let me know what you think; I have this code and ideas and do
    not know what do with them!
    Jason Whitlark, Jul 15, 2003