a good C++ editor

filox

can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

Shelyag Yuriy

filox said:
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

Code::Blocks
http:://www.codebloks.org

Phlip

filox said:
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and
now i need to find a good editor...

Get gcc via CygWin for Win32.

Write a Makefile for your project, in the same folder as your .sln file.

Write a trigger (in a soft language like Ruby) that runs the Makefile to
compile your code and run your tests, after each .cpp file changes.

Start the trigger, and start Visual Studio. Tile the windows so you can see
the trigger's console.

Now edit, and even compile with your .sln file, and each time you change the
code, your trigger will build it for gcc.
You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

Oh, dude, "7-Course Beef" in Westminster sure takes me back!

Andy

filox said:
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

Try Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
You can get both at www.eclipse.org

Regards,
Andy

Alf P. Steinbach

* Andy:
Try Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
You can get both at www.eclipse.org

Last I tried (when am I going to actually uninstall all the things that
have accumulated?) Eclipse was slow and difficult and generally bad,
just like expected of a Java thingo, although probably a heaven for Java
programmers.

For C++ programming many people have recommended Code::Blocks, <url:
http://www.codeblocks.org/>, touted as "the" through and through C++
successor to DevC++ (which ironically, IIRC, was written in Borland Pascal).

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but it sure looks good.

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Ernesto_Basc=F3n?=

filox said:
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

I'd recommend you Netbeans.

Netbeans is a Java IDE; its last release includes a C/C++ pack that
allows you edit, debug and work with makefiles using this interesting
IDE.

www.netbeans.org

Regards,

Ernesto

BobR

Alf P. Steinbach wrote in message said:

That's "GCC" ( the GNU Compiler Collection, which includes gcc and g++
compilers). :-}
Last I tried (when am I going to actually uninstall all the things that
have accumulated?) Eclipse was slow and difficult and generally bad,
just like expected of a Java thingo, although probably a heaven for Java
programmers.

For C++ programming many people have recommended Code::Blocks, <url:
http://www.codeblocks.org/>, touted as "the" through and through C++
successor to DevC++ (which ironically, IIRC, was written in Borland Pascal).

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but it sure looks good.

Maybe someone who has both could come back and tell us if Code::Blocks plays
nice with DevC++. [ Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/ ]
Ref: Code::Blocks for windows:
Does it 'capture' the file-type-associations(allow to keep current settings),
easy to point it to the current MinGW(GCC) under DevC++ dir, mess with
windows registry, etc.?
[ meantime, yeah, I'll go look over their site. ]

I'm pretty happy with DevC++, so it will take an 'eye-grabber' to get me to
change (C++ source code *is* a big plus. GNU port is another+.). I don't like
to burn bridges (or DevC++ <G>), some 'installers' are over aggressive.
I use MinGW Studio on Debian, but it's a little 'thin' ( and Kdevelop is way
'thick'! "GAWD, all I wanted is a little 3 file project linked to wxWidgets!
What the heck are all those script things for!?!". Kpollution? <G>).

Roland Pibinger

can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

PSPad, an editor not an IDE: http://www.pspad.com/en/

Good luck,
Roland Pibinger

Marcus Kwok

filox said:
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

Personally, I love vim (http://www.vim.org/). Once you learn your way
around it, you'll realize how powerful of an editor it is and how fast
you can do things, but the learning curve may be a little steep. It may
take some time to get used to using a modal editor.

Peter

filox said:
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

this is a highly controversial question (grin).
I like vim -- because I can edit stuff very fast
-- I bet that I can do most editing with vim faster than with any other
editor.
Especially if you're working with tables or arrays
-- e.g. when converting data from one format into another.
vim is programmable -- you can write macros.
Repeating a macro for every occurence of some string interactively is a
blast.
Working with multiple files is a blast.
Find a vi-faq and print it out.
It is a steep learning curve -- but once you mastered it you never want
a different editor again.

Duane Hebert

filox said:
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and
now i need to find a good editor...

You can try emacs for windows and install the highlighting
stuff. It's pretty slow though. I use Boxer as an editor.
It does syntax highlighting and is very configurable.

For intellisense, I just use VS. Actually, the editor with
VS2003 is pretty decent.

SirMike

Dnia Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:54:26 +0100, filox napisa³(a):
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

Try Vim - you must spend some time with it but when you do, you'll see how
easy your work is.

filox

well, i downloaded and installed code::blocks, and it looks nice. but i just
can't get to make the complete code(ctrl+space) thing to work. also, i can't
find the option to change the font size, since the default is too small...

arnuld

filox said:
can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

well, for Windows, i think you will like Bloodshed:
http://www.bloodshed.net/ its nice IDE. try it for yourself.

[OT]
well, if you really ask me & if i feel i must give you an advice, then
i will say, "If one really wantes to be a programmer, 1st thing he must
do is to install UNIX & *use* it as *his* OS". it is the 1st step on
the path of becoming a programmer. by UNIX i mean UNIX, Linux or one of
the Open Source BSDs. you can never know what exactly we mean by *hack*
* for whole of your life & *hacking* will remain an *alien* concept to
you unless you use UNIX as *your* OS.

use Windows but this way, never say that you are a good programmer & i
speak from experience.
[/OT]
-- You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

what is that?

-- arnuld
http://arnuld.blogspot.com

Shelyag Yuriy

filox said:
well, i downloaded and installed code::blocks, and it looks nice. but i just
can't get to make the complete code(ctrl+space) thing to work. also, i can't
find the option to change the font size, since the default is too small...

You download 1.0 RC2 or latest Nightly Build?