    i need to find a good editor...

    --
    You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

    filox, Nov 2, 2006

  2. filox wrote:
    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
    > i need to find a good editor...

    Code::Blocks
    http:://www.codebloks.org

    Shelyag Yuriy, Nov 2, 2006

  3. filox

    Phlip Guest

    filox wrote:

    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and
    > now i need to find a good editor...

    Get gcc via CygWin for Win32.

    Write a Makefile for your project, in the same folder as your .sln file.

    Write a trigger (in a soft language like Ruby) that runs the Makefile to
    compile your code and run your tests, after each .cpp file changes.

    Start the trigger, and start Visual Studio. Tile the windows so you can see
    the trigger's console.

    Now edit, and even compile with your .sln file, and each time you change the
    code, your trigger will build it for gcc.

    > You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

    Oh, dude, "7-Course Beef" in Westminster sure takes me back!

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Nov 2, 2006
  4. filox

    Andy Guest

    filox schrieb:
    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
    > i need to find a good editor...

    Try Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
    You can get both at www.eclipse.org

    Regards,
    Andy

    Andy, Nov 2, 2006
  5. * Andy:
    > filox schrieb:
    >> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i
    >> don't want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has
    >> syntax highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to
    >> complete your code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual
    >> studio to gcc and now i need to find a good editor...
    >>

    > Try Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
    > You can get both at www.eclipse.org

    Last I tried (when am I going to actually uninstall all the things that
    have accumulated?) Eclipse was slow and difficult and generally bad,
    just like expected of a Java thingo, although probably a heaven for Java
    programmers.

    For C++ programming many people have recommended Code::Blocks, <url:
    http://www.codeblocks.org/>, touted as "the" through and through C++
    successor to DevC++ (which ironically, IIRC, was written in Borland Pascal).

    Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but it sure looks good.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Nov 2, 2006
  6. filox wrote:
    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
    > i need to find a good editor...

    I'd recommend you Netbeans.

    Netbeans is a Java IDE; its last release includes a C/C++ pack that
    allows you edit, debug and work with makefiles using this interesting
    IDE.

    www.netbeans.org

    Regards,

    Ernesto

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Ernesto_Basc=F3n?=, Nov 2, 2006
  7. filox

    BobR Guest

    Alf P. Steinbach wrote in message <>...
    >* Andy:
    >> filox schrieb:
    >>> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i
    >>> don't want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has
    >>> syntax highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to
    >>> complete your code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual
    >>> studio to gcc and now i need to find a good editor...

    That's "GCC" ( the GNU Compiler Collection, which includes gcc and g++
    compilers). :-}

    >> Try Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
    >> You can get both at www.eclipse.org

    >Last I tried (when am I going to actually uninstall all the things that
    >have accumulated?) Eclipse was slow and difficult and generally bad,
    >just like expected of a Java thingo, although probably a heaven for Java
    >programmers.
    >
    >For C++ programming many people have recommended Code::Blocks, <url:
    >http://www.codeblocks.org/>, touted as "the" through and through C++
    >successor to DevC++ (which ironically, IIRC, was written in Borland Pascal).
    >
    >Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but it sure looks good.

    Maybe someone who has both could come back and tell us if Code::Blocks plays
    nice with DevC++. [ Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/ ]
    Ref: Code::Blocks for windows:
    Does it 'capture' the file-type-associations(allow to keep current settings),
    easy to point it to the current MinGW(GCC) under DevC++ dir, mess with
    windows registry, etc.?
    [ meantime, yeah, I'll go look over their site. ]

    I'm pretty happy with DevC++, so it will take an 'eye-grabber' to get me to
    change (C++ source code *is* a big plus. GNU port is another+.). I don't like
    to burn bridges (or DevC++ <G>), some 'installers' are over aggressive.
    I use MinGW Studio on Debian, but it's a little 'thin' ( and Kdevelop is way
    'thick'! "GAWD, all I wanted is a little 3 file project linked to wxWidgets!
    What the heck are all those script things for!?!". Kpollution? <G>).
    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    BobR, Nov 2, 2006
  8. On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:54:26 +0100, "filox"
    <filox_realmmakniovo@...com> wrote:
    >can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    >want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    >highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    >code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
    >i need to find a good editor...

    PSPad, an editor not an IDE: http://www.pspad.com/en/

    Good luck,
    Roland Pibinger

    Roland Pibinger, Nov 2, 2006
  9. filox

    Marcus Kwok Guest

    filox <> wrote:
    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
    > i need to find a good editor...

    Personally, I love vim (http://www.vim.org/). Once you learn your way
    around it, you'll realize how powerful of an editor it is and how fast
    you can do things, but the learning curve may be a little steep. It may
    take some time to get used to using a modal editor.

    --
    Marcus Kwok
    Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply

    Marcus Kwok, Nov 2, 2006
  10. On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:01:51 +0200, Shelyag Yuriy wrote:
    >filox wrote:
    >> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    >> want to use MS visual studio)?

    >Code::Blocks
    >http:://www.codebloks.org

    better: http://www.codeblocks.org/
    This project looks very promising. Unfortunately it seems to have
    slowed down.

    Best wishes,
    Roland Pibinger

    Roland Pibinger, Nov 2, 2006
  11. filox

    Peter Guest

    filox wrote:
    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
    > i need to find a good editor...

    this is a highly controversial question (grin).
    I like vim -- because I can edit stuff very fast
    -- I bet that I can do most editing with vim faster than with any other
    editor.
    Especially if you're working with tables or arrays
    -- e.g. when converting data from one format into another.
    vim is programmable -- you can write macros.
    Repeating a macro for every occurence of some string interactively is a
    blast.
    Working with multiple files is a blast.
    Find a vi-faq and print it out.
    It is a steep learning curve -- but once you mastered it you never want
    a different editor again.

    Peter, Nov 2, 2006
  12. filox

    Duane Hebert Guest

    "filox" <> wrote in message
    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and
    > now i need to find a good editor...

    You can try emacs for windows and install the highlighting
    stuff. It's pretty slow though. I use Boxer as an editor.
    It does syntax highlighting and is very configurable.

    For intellisense, I just use VS. Actually, the editor with
    VS2003 is pretty decent.

    Duane Hebert, Nov 3, 2006
  13. filox

    SirMike Guest

    Dnia Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:54:26 +0100, filox napisa³(a):

    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
    > i need to find a good editor...

    Try Vim - you must spend some time with it but when you do, you'll see how
    easy your work is.

    --
    SirMike - http://www.sirmike.org

    C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg. - Bjarne Stroustrup

    SirMike, Nov 3, 2006
  14. Roland Pibinger wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:01:51 +0200, Shelyag Yuriy wrote:
    >> filox wrote:
    >>> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    >>> want to use MS visual studio)?

    >> Code::Blocks
    >> http:://www.codebloks.org

    > better: http://www.codeblocks.org/
    > This project looks very promising. Unfortunately it seems to have
    > slowed down.

    You used last Nightly Build or last release RC2 from October 2005?

    Shelyag Yuriy, Nov 3, 2006
  15. On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 10:51:08 +0200, Shelyag Yuriy wrote:
    >You used last Nightly Build or last release RC2 from October 2005?

    Some time ago I tried 1.0rc2 (dated Oct 25, 2005). There is a note
    about the project status at http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads.shtml.

    Roland Pibinger, Nov 3, 2006
  16. Roland Pibinger wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 10:51:08 +0200, Shelyag Yuriy wrote:
    >> You used last Nightly Build or last release RC2 from October 2005?

    > Some time ago I tried 1.0rc2 (dated Oct 25, 2005). There is a note
    > about the project status at http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads.shtml.

    They could release 1.0 RC3 at November, but latest build is accessible
    on them forum. It has many useful features. Try it.

    Shelyag Yuriy, Nov 3, 2006
  17. filox

    filox Guest

    well, i downloaded and installed code::blocks, and it looks nice. but i just
    can't get to make the complete code(ctrl+space) thing to work. also, i can't
    find the option to change the font size, since the default is too small...

    --
    You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

    filox, Nov 3, 2006
  18. filox

    arnuld Guest

    filox wrote:
    > can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
    > want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
    > highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
    > code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
    > i need to find a good editor...

    well, for Windows, i think you will like Bloodshed:
    http://www.bloodshed.net/ its nice IDE. try it for yourself.

    [OT]
    well, if you really ask me & if i feel i must give you an advice, then
    i will say, "If one really wantes to be a programmer, 1st thing he must
    do is to install UNIX & *use* it as *his* OS". it is the 1st step on
    the path of becoming a programmer. by UNIX i mean UNIX, Linux or one of
    the Open Source BSDs. you can never know what exactly we mean by *hack*
    * for whole of your life & *hacking* will remain an *alien* concept to
    you unless you use UNIX as *your* OS.

    use Windows but this way, never say that you are a good programmer & i
    speak from experience.
    [/OT]

    > -- You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

    what is that?

    -- arnuld
    http://arnuld.blogspot.com

    arnuld, Nov 3, 2006
  19. filox wrote:
    > well, i downloaded and installed code::blocks, and it looks nice. but i just
    > can't get to make the complete code(ctrl+space) thing to work. also, i can't
    > find the option to change the font size, since the default is too small...

    You download 1.0 RC2 or latest Nightly Build?

    Shelyag Yuriy, Nov 3, 2006
  20. filox

    filox Guest

    1.0 RC2

    --
    You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

    filox, Nov 3, 2006