    follows ANSI C standards?

    I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    not follow some of the ANSI C standards.
    Nikhil Bokare, May 31, 2007

  2. Nikhil Bokare

    jacob navia Guest

    Nikhil Bokare wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    > follows ANSI C standards?
    >
    > I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    > not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    32 bit code generation:
    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    compiler+ide+debugger+project management+
    resource editor

    Approx 5MB download

    jacob
    jacob navia, May 31, 2007

  3. Nikhil Bokare

    Guru Jois Guest

    On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    > follows ANSI C standards?
    >
    > I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    > not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    see this could be useful to download. I don't know more about this
    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/
    Guru Jois, May 31, 2007
  4. Nikhil Bokare

    nszabolcs Guest

    Guru Jois wrote:
    > On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    > > Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    > > follows ANSI C standards?
    > >
    > > I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    > > not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    > see this could be useful to download. I don't know more about this
    > http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

    why lcc? why not gcc?
    http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
    or here is a list
    http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php#FreeCompilers

    is lcc better in some way?
    nszabolcs, May 31, 2007
  5. Nikhil Bokare

    jacob navia Guest

    nszabolcs wrote:
    > Guru Jois wrote:
    >> On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    >>> Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    >>> follows ANSI C standards?
    >>>
    >>> I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    >>> not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    >> see this could be useful to download. I don't know more about this
    >> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

    > why lcc? why not gcc?
    > http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
    > or here is a list
    > http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php#FreeCompilers
    >
    > is lcc better in some way?

    Yes. lcc is smaller, no installation problems, and it is a C compiler,
    not a C++ compiler that can also compile C.
    jacob navia, May 31, 2007
  6. Nikhil Bokare

    Richard Guest

    jacob navia <> writes:

    > nszabolcs wrote:
    >> Guru Jois wrote:

    >>> see this could be useful to download. I don't know more about this
    >>> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

    >> why lcc? why not gcc?
    >> http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
    >> or here is a list
    >> http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php#FreeCompilers
    >>
    >> is lcc better in some way?
    >>

    > Yes. lcc is smaller, no installation problems, and it is a C compiler,
    > not a C++ compiler that can also compile C.

    That is totally unfair.

    Gcc is the Gnu Compiler Collection. Formally known as the Gnu C
    Compiler.

    The C front end to Gcc is just that - a C front end.
    Richard, May 31, 2007
  7. Nikhil Bokare

    Tor Rustad Guest

    On 31 Mai, 11:36, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    > follows ANSI C standards?
    >
    > I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    > not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    Turbo C was one of my first compilers too, and I did pick up some bad
    habbits from it. I haven't used it for a very long time, but you could
    check if you invoke it in ANSI mode or not.

    A good C compiler is gcc, and if you start using lint too, you a lot
    of warnings.

    --
    Tor
    Tor Rustad, May 31, 2007
  8. Nikhil Bokare

    Richard Guest

    Tor Rustad <> writes:

    > On 31 Mai, 11:36, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    >> follows ANSI C standards?
    >>
    >> I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    >> not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    > Turbo C was one of my first compilers too, and I did pick up some bad
    > habbits from it. I haven't used it for a very long time, but you could
    > check if you invoke it in ANSI mode or not.
    >
    > A good C compiler is gcc, and if you start using lint too, you a lot
    > of warnings.

    I dont know why but in Linux land "lint" seems to have all but
    vanished. There is lclint but this is not in the standard Debian/Ubuntu
    repositories.

    The Gcc options -Wall and -pedantic can help a lot.

    Although off topic, I would be interested to hear what other C
    programmers here use for "lint"'like examination of theirs and others
    code.
    Richard, May 31, 2007
  9. Nikhil Bokare

    Tor Rustad Guest

    On 31 Mai, 15:28, Richard <> wrote:
    > Tor Rustad <> writes:

    <snip>

    > > A good C compiler is gcc, and if you start using lint too, you get
    > > a lot of warnings.

    > I dont know why but in Linux land "lint" seems to have all but
    > vanished. There is lclint but this is not in the standard Debian/Ubuntu
    > repositories.
    >
    > The Gcc options -Wall and -pedantic can help a lot.

    and -ansi

    > Although off topic, I would be interested to hear what other C
    > programmers here use for "lint"'like examination of theirs and others
    > code.

    I use splint myself, which available both on Win32 and Linux.

    http://www.splint.org/

    on Ubuntu just type

    sudo apt-get install splint

    --
    Tor
    Tor Rustad, May 31, 2007
  10. Nikhil Bokare

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:28:46 +0200, Richard <> wrote
    in comp.lang.c:

    > Tor Rustad <> writes:
    >
    > > On 31 Mai, 11:36, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    > >> Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    > >> follows ANSI C standards?
    > >>
    > >> I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    > >> not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    > > Turbo C was one of my first compilers too, and I did pick up some bad
    > > habbits from it. I haven't used it for a very long time, but you could
    > > check if you invoke it in ANSI mode or not.
    > >
    > > A good C compiler is gcc, and if you start using lint too, you a lot
    > > of warnings.

    > I dont know why but in Linux land "lint" seems to have all but
    > vanished. There is lclint but this is not in the standard Debian/Ubuntu
    > repositories.
    >
    > The Gcc options -Wall and -pedantic can help a lot.
    >
    > Although off topic, I would be interested to hear what other C
    > programmers here use for "lint"'like examination of theirs and others
    > code.

    PC Lint http://www.gimpel.com

    A commercial product, but very reasonably priced for what it does.

    I haven't tried splint, so I don't know if it is as good.

    Anyone who makes a living programming in C who does not use a lint, or
    one of the more advanced and really expensive static analysis tools on
    the market, only thinks he/she is a professional programmer.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Jun 1, 2007
  11. Nikhil Bokare

    Guest

    On Jun 1, 4:32 am, Jack Klein <> wrote:
    > Anyone who makes a living programming in C who does not use alint, or
    > one of the more advanced and really expensive static analysis tools on
    > the market, only thinks he/she is a professional programmer.

    I have to say I disagree with this. I think lint really blows :(

    My compiler is already extremely picky with -W -ansi -pedantic, but
    with lint you get screen after screen of spurious warnings even for a
    100-line toy program. Sorting out all the cruft from the lint output
    for a production-sized program would be an inconceivable burden.

    > --
    > JackKlein
    > Home:http://JK-Technology.Com
    > FAQs for
    > comp.lang.chttp://c-faq.com/
    > comp.lang.c++http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    > alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++http://www.club.cc.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html
    , Jun 1, 2007
  12. Nikhil Bokare

    Sharath Guest

    On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    > follows ANSI C standards?
    >
    > I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    > not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
    requirement.
    You can find link to this and other compilers at:
    http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

    -Sharath
    Sharath, Jun 1, 2007
  13. Nikhil Bokare

    Sharath Guest

    On Jun 1, 2:08 pm, Sharath <> wrote:
    > On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    > > follows ANSI C standards?

    > > I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    > > not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    > I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
    > requirement.

    I mean Dev C++ IDE with MinGW(gcc) compiler. I got confused with
    Cygwin and MinGW, anyway both of them are configurable with Dev C++.
    Sharath, Jun 1, 2007
  14. Nikhil Bokare

    jacob navia Guest

    Sharath wrote:
    > On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    >> follows ANSI C standards?
    >>
    >> I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    >> not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    > I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
    > requirement.
    > You can find link to this and other compilers at:
    > http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers
    >
    > -Sharath

    The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE
    jacob navia, Jun 1, 2007
  15. Nikhil Bokare

    osmium Guest

    "jacob navia" writes:

    > Sharath wrote:
    >> On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <> wrote:
    >>> Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
    >>> follows ANSI C standards?
    >>>
    >>> I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
    >>> not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

    >> I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
    >> requirement.
    >> You can find link to this and other compilers at:
    >> http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

    > The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE

    Then for DevC the OP must type a file name of the form xxx.c when he creates
    a new ffile. Appending ".c" makes it a C compiler.
    osmium, Jun 1, 2007
  16. Nikhil Bokare

    Sharath Guest

    On Jun 1, 5:43 pm, jacob navia <> wrote:
    > Sharath wrote:
    > > I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
    > > requirement.
    > > You can find link to this and other compilers at:
    > >http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

    > The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE

    No. He asked for a C compiler, not IDE. I suggested
    Dev C++ IDE with MinGW compiler(which is a gcc port to
    Windows and has both C and C++ compilers). And Dev C++
    is an IDE for both C and C++.

    -Sharath
    Sharath, Jun 1, 2007
  17. Nikhil Bokare

    Richard Guest

    Sharath <> writes:

    > On Jun 1, 5:43 pm, jacob navia <> wrote:
    >> Sharath wrote:
    >> > I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
    >> > requirement.
    >> > You can find link to this and other compilers at:
    >> >http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

    >> The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE

    > No. He asked for a C compiler, not IDE. I suggested
    > Dev C++ IDE with MinGW compiler(which is a gcc port to
    > Windows and has both C and C++ compilers). And Dev C++
    > is an IDE for both C and C++.
    >
    > -Sharath

    He asked for "easy to use" and compared with turbo C which kind of hints
    at an IDE too. You could do a lot worse than Eclipse with the CDT plugin
    for a C IDE which in turn uses gcc as a compiler backend. It has very
    good Intellisense like functionality and code cross referencing.

    Ideal for a beginner.

    Eclipse "know how" is never a bad thing to have. Yes, its a bit on the
    "heavy" side, but all (spit) Java apps are ...
    Richard, Jun 1, 2007
  18. Nikhil Bokare

    Tor Rustad Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jun 1, 4:32 am, Jack Klein <> wrote:
    >> Anyone who makes a living programming in C who does not use alint, or
    >> one of the more advanced and really expensive static analysis tools on
    >> the market, only thinks he/she is a professional programmer.

    > I have to say I disagree with this. I think lint really blows :(
    >
    > My compiler is already extremely picky with -W -ansi -pedantic, but
    > with lint you get screen after screen of spurious warnings even for a
    > 100-line toy program. Sorting out all the cruft from the lint output
    > for a production-sized program would be an inconceivable burden.

    I don't get screen after screen with lint warnings....

    If Sun can keep a kernel lint clean, then you can do the same:

    19. You have the following additional responsibilities when integrating
    changes to
    the kernel:

    o Your changes must not introduce any lint errors. See tips on keeping
    the kernel lint clean at /shared/ON/general_docs/lint_tips.txt.

    o For the kernel, changes must conform to the C coding style.

    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/muskoka/on_dev/golden_rules.txt

    --
    Tor <torust [at] online [dot] no>
    Tor Rustad, Jun 1, 2007
  19. On Jun 1, 7:46 pm, Sharath <> wrote:
    > On Jun 1, 5:43 pm, jacob navia <> wrote:
    >
    > > Sharath wrote:
    > > > I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
    > > > requirement.
    > > > You can find link to this and other compilers at:
    > > >http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

    > > The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE

    > No. He asked for a C compiler, not IDE. I suggested
    > Dev C++ IDE with MinGW compiler(which is a gcc port to
    > Windows and has both C and C++ compilers). And Dev C++
    > is an IDE for both C and C++.
    >
    > -Sharath

    Thanks for all the help.
    I would also like to have an IDE.
    But the basic requirement is it should work perfectly according to
    ANSI standards in WindowsXP environtment.
    Nikhil Bokare, Jun 3, 2007
  20. Nikhil Bokare

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Nikhil Bokare wrote, On 03/06/07 09:30:
    > On Jun 1, 7:46 pm, Sharath <> wrote:

    >>> The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE

    >> No. He asked for a C compiler, not IDE. I suggested
    >> Dev C++ IDE with MinGW compiler(which is a gcc port to
    >> Windows and has both C and C++ compilers). And Dev C++
    >> is an IDE for both C and C++.
    >>
    >> -Sharath

    > Thanks for all the help.
    > I would also like to have an IDE.
    > But the basic requirement is it should work perfectly according to
    > ANSI standards in WindowsXP environtment.

    If you use the correct options (-ansi -pedantic) all of the gcc based
    systems above will conform to the C89 standard and I believe they will
    all run on Windows XP.

    You could also look at these pages
    http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_resources:Compilers
    http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_resources:IDEs