<A href= links dont always render properly on my .aspx pages

Brian Watkins

Hello All,

I have a a file display page that contains two frames. In the left
frame is a tree view that lists a directory and all its subfolders. Each
node in the left frames tree is a link that when clicked displays links to
all the files in the right frame for the folder clicked. The problem I
have is that some of the links don't work and some do. It seems like the <A
href only renders when it wants to. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks
in advance!

Patrick Steele [MVP]

Hello All,

I have a a file display page that contains two frames. In the left
frame is a tree view that lists a directory and all its subfolders. Each
node in the left frames tree is a link that when clicked displays links to
all the files in the right frame for the folder clicked. The problem I
have is that some of the links don't work and some do. It seems like the <A
href only renders when it wants to. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks
in advance!

Perhaps the <A> tags are being constructed properly. Can you show us a
sample of the rendered HTML?

Brian Watkins

Patrick,

Thanks for your response!
Here is the HTML output:

1 <Table bgColor=000066 width=100%>
2 <tr>
3 <td>
4 <table bgColor=FFFFFF align=left width=100% cellpadding=1
cellspacing=1>
5 <tr>
6 <th width=50%><b><FONT face='Times New Roman'>Name</th><th
align='center' width=6%><b><FONT face='Times New Roman'>Size</th>
7 <th align='center' width=23%><b><FONT face='Times New
Roman'>Last Modified</th>
8 <th align='center' width=23%><b><FONT face='Times New
Roman'>Date Created</th>
9 </tr>
10 <tr bgcolor='#FFFFFF'>
11 <td><a
href='ShowFiles.aspx?Path=http://intranet/Documents/HR/Benefit SPDs and
Documents' >Benefit SPDs and Documents</a></td>
12 </tr>
13 <tr bgcolor='#FFFFFF'>
14 said:
Employee Handbook</a></td>
15 </tr>
16 <tr bgcolor='#FFFFFF'>
17 said:
Holiday Schedules</a></td>
18 </tr>
19 <tr bgcolor='#FFFFFF'>
20 <td><a
href='ShowFiles.aspx?Path=http://intranet/Documents/HR/HR Forms' >HR
Forms</a></td>
21 </tr>
22 <tr bgcolor='#FFFFFF'>
23 <td><a
href='ShowFiles.aspx?Path=http://intranet/Documents/HR/Mgrs Policy and
Procedure</a></td>
24 </tr>
25 </table>
26 </td>
27 </tr>
28 </table>

The links on lines 11, 14, and 17 didn't work( in this case), but the links
on lines 20 and 23 work fine. I am using the response.write method within
a function called by the page_load subroutine.

The links that dont work look like links (ie undelined) but can't be clicked
on.

Brian Watkins

Patrick,

Well if I don't know how to properly format a <A> by now I'm in trouble.
Its funny because all the links are response.write to the page. This
behaviour only occurs if I try to fill both frames with links at the same
time. The exact code works if I fill the left frame links and fill the
right frame based on a left frame click. But if I attempt to run both pages
at the same time it doesn't work. Only some of the <A> tags render
properly. Its almost as if the pages dont finish loading.

Patrick Steele [MVP]

Well if I don't know how to properly format a <A> by now I'm in trouble.

No offense was meant. When answering questions, I can't really assume
too much about the posters knowledge in *all* fields. :)

Did you see my other reply that the parameters of the HREF were not
properly HTML encoded?