A JS eye for the emacs guy!

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by alex, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. alex

    alex Guest

    Hi there!

    I'm just starting out with javascript. My background is in
    c/python/java/ruby/perl. I have an old and steady relationship with
    emacs and the command line. I've tried a couple of IDEs, but it never
    lasted.

    Coming to javascript I'm at a bit of a loss. What bothers me most is
    the inability to test stuff from the command line. I guess the first
    thing I want to do is get acquainted with a javascript unit testing
    framework. Google tells me that there are three such frameworks, two
    named jsunit and one from script.aculo.us. Which one has momentum?
    Which one am I likely to digg, being an emacs kind of guy?

    And what about debuggers? I've never really liked them. Usually I just
    do unit testing and printf statements, but considering that javascript
    is harder to interact with from the command line, maybe I should learn
    a debugger after all? Is Venkman the thing to go with in that area or
    what?

    TIA alex

    alex, Jun 6, 2006

  2. alex

    Ian Collins Guest

    alex wrote:
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I'm just starting out with javascript. My background is in
    > c/python/java/ruby/perl. I have an old and steady relationship with
    > emacs and the command line. I've tried a couple of IDEs, but it never
    > lasted.

    emacs supports JavaScript quite happily.

    > Coming to javascript I'm at a bit of a loss. What bothers me most is
    > the inability to test stuff from the command line. I guess the first
    > thing I want to do is get acquainted with a javascript unit testing
    > framework. Google tells me that there are three such frameworks, two
    > named jsunit and one from script.aculo.us. Which one has momentum?
    > Which one am I likely to digg, being an emacs kind of guy?

    I've been using JsUnit from http://www.jsunit.net/, works well in all
    browsers I've tried and has support for server driven testing.

    > And what about debuggers? I've never really liked them. Usually I just
    > do unit testing and printf statements, but considering that javascript
    > is harder to interact with from the command line, maybe I should learn
    > a debugger after all? Is Venkman the thing to go with in that area or
    > what?

    It you use JsUnit and Test Driven Development, you shouldn't need to use
    a debugger. You can use the log facility in JsUnit and fall back to
    alert() if you want to have a look at data on a running page.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Jun 6, 2006