a look ar run basic coding

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    Below is a simple code I am using to generate a list of zip codes by
    states.
    I have the states arranged in the left column.
    Zipcodes in the right column.

    If you do programming with php or javascript you probably understand
    most of it.

    items in [ ] are called branch labels. They replace line numbers.

    cls - clear screen
    div - creates a division.

    First, I create an array that contains all the states and each state
    is numbered. This is all printed to the screen in leftcol.

    link - creates an anchor tag. The structure basically says "create
    this link giving it the id of #uniquename, using the text to be
    underlined and sending it to this destination".

    EventKey$ - traps which link was clicked on.
    Similar to onclick.

    A second array contains the zip codes and city names.
    That gets printed in rightcol.
    If you click on say "Alabama", that list is printed in rightcol.
    If you then click on "Kentucky", Alabama's list is erased and replaced
    with Kentucky.

    ek$ = ""

    [start]
    cls
    div leftcol
    for i = 1 to 50
    st$ = "#st" + right$("0" + str$(i), 2)
    text$ = st$(i)
    link #st$, text$,[Display]
    print
    next i
    end div

    div rightcol
    div newstate

    v=val(ek$)
    print azip$(v,1)

    for n=3 to 70
    if azip$(v,n)>"" then
    lk$="#"+azip$(v,2)+"01"
    text$=azip$(v,n)
    link #lk$, text$, [display]
    print
    end if
    next n
    end div
    end div

    wait

    [Display]
    ek$=EventKey$
    ek$=right$(ek$,2)

    goto [start]

    richard, Mar 7, 2009

  2. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > Below is a simple code I am using to generate a list of zip codes by
    > states.
    > I have the states arranged in the left column.
    > Zipcodes in the right column.
    >
    > If you do programming with php or javascript you probably understand
    > most of it.

    So why are you posting here? This is a group devoted to arguing if lists
    must never go in HTML tables or how much presentational content is
    inherent in HTML elements and what use are they without a bit of CSS
    and...

    alt.php sound like it is for you.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 7, 2009

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 16:20:55 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Below is a simple code I am using to generate a list of zip codes by
    >> states.
    >> I have the states arranged in the left column.
    >> Zipcodes in the right column.
    >>
    >> If you do programming with php or javascript you probably understand
    >> most of it.

    >So why are you posting here? This is a group devoted to arguing if lists
    >must never go in HTML tables or how much presentational content is
    >inherent in HTML elements and what use are they without a bit of CSS
    >and...
    >
    >alt.php sound like it is for you.

    <TR><TD><SPAN CLASS="bodybold"><A HREF="/zipcodes/48/48002.html">48002
    zip code </A></SPAN></TD><TD><SPAN
    CLASS="body">Allenton</SPAN></TD><TD><SPAN CLASS="body">Michigan
    </SPAN></TD><TD><SPAN CLASS="body">Saint Clair</SPAN></TD><TD><SPAN
    CLASS="body">3162</SPAN></TD></TR>

    This is taken from Brainyzip.com to show you what all is needed in
    html to achieve the same basic thing that I am doing.

    In run basic I can create a complex table quicker and with less
    coding.
    In run basic, one shortcut code replaces a lot of hand coded text like
    the anchor tag.
    if I want to write code in actual html, then I would use the html
    command.
    html "<div class="sample">this are a test</div>"
    If I wanted to show the above line as including the tags then I would
    use print instead of html.

    Run Basic is a very powerful tool. You might want to give it a try.

    richard, Mar 7, 2009
  4. richard

    David Segall Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Below is a simple code I am using to generate a list of zip codes by
    >> states.
    >> I have the states arranged in the left column.
    >> Zipcodes in the right column.
    >>
    >> If you do programming with php or javascript you probably understand
    >> most of it.

    >So why are you posting here? This is a group devoted to arguing if lists
    >must never go in HTML tables or how much presentational content is
    >inherent in HTML elements and what use are they without a bit of CSS
    >and...
    >
    >alt.php sound like it is for you.

    He probably posts there too. Spammers don't worry too much about the
    relevance of their product to the group.

    David Segall, Mar 8, 2009
  5. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > richard <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Below is a simple code I am using to generate a list of zip codes by
    > >> states

    > >alt.php sound like it is for you.

    > He probably posts there too. Spammers don't worry too much about the
    > relevance of their product to the group.

    I had and have no notion of this poster being a spammer... but, being
    early morning Monday and all, I won't pursue this matter.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 8, 2009
  6. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 12:09:13 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote:

    >dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Below is a simple code I am using to generate a list of zip codes by
    >>> states.
    >>> I have the states arranged in the left column.
    >>> Zipcodes in the right column.
    >>>
    >>> If you do programming with php or javascript you probably understand
    >>> most of it.

    >>So why are you posting here? This is a group devoted to arguing if lists
    >>must never go in HTML tables or how much presentational content is
    >>inherent in HTML elements and what use are they without a bit of CSS
    >>and...
    >>
    >>alt.php sound like it is for you.

    >He probably posts there too. Spammers don't worry too much about the
    >relevance of their product to the group.

    You have no clues as what spam is in usenet.
    I do not post to this group as frequently as you think and I surely do
    not post spam.
    Neither do I post to alt.php, although I have in the past.

    Commenting on a way to do things, showing how to do it, is not spam.

    richard, Mar 8, 2009
  7. richard

    David Segall Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 12:09:13 GMT, David Segall <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>dorayme <> wrote:

    >>>So why are you posting here? This is a group devoted to arguing if lists
    >>>must never go in HTML tables or how much presentational content is
    >>>inherent in HTML elements and what use are they without a bit of CSS
    >>>and...
    >>>
    >>>alt.php sound like it is for you.

    >>He probably posts there too. Spammers don't worry too much about the
    >>relevance of their product to the group.

    >You have no clues as what spam is in usenet.
    >I do not post to this group as frequently as you think and I surely do
    >not post spam.
    >Neither do I post to alt.php, although I have in the past.
    >
    >Commenting on a way to do things, showing how to do it, is not spam.

    You are correct. True spam has to be done in bulk. A single post in
    alt.fashion for one of those "designer watches" is not spam but merely
    informing them how to buy a designer watch. Indeed, a single post in
    this news group telling us how to buy a designer watch or explaining
    something else that has very little to do with HTML is not spam even
    if it is just intended to sell a product.

    To be fair, I am beginning to doubt that you _are_ trying to sell the
    product. It seems that what you produce is of such quality that you
    must realise it would not promote Run Basic. Why are you posting it?

    David Segall, Mar 9, 2009