A question about asp.net Validator

Nicky

I am new on asp.net programming.
Here I got a problem about validator
I want to write a login.aspx page, for example, there is UserName box. I
need to validate two things on UserName box,
1. It must be filled. If it is empty, I will show a red message right after
this box, like "UserName is empty!"
2. It must be a valid user in our database. So on server side, we will check
this UserName in our database. If it is not in our database, we will show
something like "Invalid user name..."
I know it is very easy to do the 1st rule with the RequireFieldValidator.
But in order to do the rule 2, I need to put a Lable at the same place where
the validator is. Right? But the two won't stay at the same place. So I tried
to use a CustomValidator, and write the ClientValidationFunction like this:
<script language="javascript">
function ValidUserName(oSrc, args) //For rule 1
{
if(args.Value.length > 0)
args.IsValid = true;
else
args.IsValid = false;
}
</script>
And also, I have a server validate function which will process the rule 2.
But the problem is the client validate function never get called. So , do
you guys have better solution for this? I really appreciated.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

Hi Nicky,

it's probably best to direct ASP.NET questions to
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet rather than to this group, which is
'classic' ASP focussed. You'll get a pretty quick answer there.

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.