A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

Daniel Lewis

Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
he had written in his preface.

In his preface he wrote:
"People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
mathematics."

So I asked Dave:
"Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
email addresses that I can go-to/email?"

and he said:
"Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."

and so here I am.

So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
out there.

Thank you to anyone that can help,

Daniel Lewis.
* Ruby Programmer
* Fuzzy Theorist
* Software Engineering Student (Undergraduate)
* Analyst Programmer and Developer (R&D)
* Part time website developer
* ACM Student Member (since February 2005)

Josh Charles

I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
for learning basic AI in ruby?

Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

Josh

Daniel Lewis

I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
for learning basic AI in ruby?

Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.

I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.

Ara.T.Howard

and he said:
"Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."

and so here I am.

So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
out there.

Thank you to anyone that can help,

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ai-app-prog/
http://rubyplayer.rubyforge.org/
http://evonet.sourceforge.net/
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fann/

http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr.cgi/InterestingProjects

hth.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna

Ara.T.Howard

Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.

I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.

you may want to ping joel vanderwerf (frequents this group) was doing some
work with robotic car brains - thought i could have mis-remembered this

http://www.path.berkeley.edu:81/people/staff/vanderwerf_joel.html
http://www.path.berkeley.edu/

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna

Shashank Date

Hi,

--- "Ara.T.Howard said:

and if you are interested in NLP:

http://www.geocities.com/ben_bongalon/rubycon/

HTH,
-- shanko

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20
http://mail.yahoo.com=20

Edward Faulkner

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

I'd suggest you find a good introduction to AI techniques, and then
worry about implementing them in Ruby. Here's a fairly basic survey
of the field:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrica...ial-IntelligenceSpring2003/Readings/index.htm

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--

Phil Tomson

and he said:
[...]

I haven't done any Fuzzy Logic, but I have used Ruby to develop genetic
algorithms, Support Vector Machines (SVM), Ant Colony Optimization and now
Particle Swarm Optimization.

You should also check the Sciruby site. (sorry don't have the URL handy, but
google should find it)

Phil

Phil Tomson

I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
for learning basic AI in ruby?

What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or maybe I
should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

Phil

Josh Charles

What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or mayb= e I
should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

Well, I have a few ideas that would effect usability and create a
better end-user experience, but I'm still in the process of deciding
whether or not the costs of implementing the system would be worth the
benefits. Also, many of the features could also be implemented using a
rules based architecture, and I know if that would be considered AI or
not.

It is similar to googles "did you mean aardvark?" when you search for
"ardvark." is that considered AI?

It is such things, I believe, that really create a good web browsing
experience. The software I'm working on is going to be used by mainly
non-technical small business owners, so it needds to be as friendly as
possible.

On a side note, this project will be a combination of .NET and Ruby,
and I do not yet know which language the AI component will be written
in, if it is indeed AI that I will be using.

Phil Tomson

Well, I have a few ideas that would effect usability and create a
better end-user experience, but I'm still in the process of deciding
whether or not the costs of implementing the system would be worth the
benefits. Also, many of the features could also be implemented using a
rules based architecture, and I know if that would be considered AI or
not.

It is similar to googles "did you mean aardvark?" when you search for
"ardvark." is that considered AI?

Good question. It may not be. Could be simply that they check each of the
words against a dictionary and it it's not there they check for similar words
(using Levenstein distance (sp?), for example). May not be all that much AI
going on there.

Phil

Bill Kelly

From: "Phil Tomson said:
Good question. It may not be. Could be simply that they check each of the
words against a dictionary and it it's not there they check for similar words
(using Levenstein distance (sp?), for example).

I'd guess something like that, with more popular search
terms weighted most heavily?

Regards,

Bill

Devin Mullins

Bill said:
I'd guess something like that, with more popular search
terms weighted most heavily?
Definitely. I've had it recommend mispelled words over correctly spelled
(don't remember what, sorry), simply because they were either more
popular searches, or more prevalent on the web. (Not sure.)

Devin

Paolino

Phil said:
Good question. It may not be. Could be simply that they check each of the
words against a dictionary and it it's not there they check for similar words
(using Levenstein distance (sp?), for example). May not be all that much AI
going on there.

Phil
Hello all.
I come in not as a Ruby programmer,I just follow your postings from a
Python programmer POV :)

I'm working on the fuzzy intelligence for that sound-like service since
a month.

Given that a huge db of edit-distances between words is probably
practical on some machines (I suppose a table 500000x500000/2 of floats
would give some results), what I'm building is a clusterer for words to
subdivide the words population in small sets each linked to some
neighbours ,having only small qgram-distance words inside.
For what it's worth clustering involve AI as it's a simple form of training.

Ciau all, have fun

___________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.it

Joel VanderWerf

Ara.T.Howard said:
you may want to ping joel vanderwerf (frequents this group) was doing some
work with robotic car brains - thought i could have mis-remembered this

http://www.path.berkeley.edu:81/people/staff/vanderwerf_joel.html
http://www.path.berkeley.edu/

cheers.

-a

I like to call our simulations "artificial stupidity" rather than
artificial intelligence, with less emphasis on optimal problem solving
and more on modeling the imperfections of human sensing, reaction, and
cognition. (Some well known AI packages split on this line too--ACT-R
vs. SOAR.)

Never done anything with fuzzy control, though. Our automated
(non-human) control system simulations are based on hybrid automata
(hybrid = state machines + ODEs). There are some (old) papers at

http://PATH.Berkeley.EDU/SHIFT
http://PATH.Berkeley.EDU/SMART-AHS

It's not what you would call AI, but some of the hybrid simulation stuff
might be interesting. SHIFT is obsolete, but there is a ruby-based
evolution of it called RedShift, that has the same basic ideas.