A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Daniel Lewis, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Daniel Lewis

    Daniel Lewis Guest

    Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
    Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
    he had written in his preface.

    In his preface he wrote:
    "People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
    programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
    natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
    mathematics."

    So I asked Dave:
    "Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
    email addresses that I can go-to/email?"

    and he said:
    "Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
    find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."

    and so here I am.

    So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
    reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
    am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
    my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
    Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
    looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
    out there.

    Thank you to anyone that can help,

    Daniel Lewis.
    * Ruby Programmer
    * Fuzzy Theorist
    * Software Engineering Student (Undergraduate)
    * Analyst Programmer and Developer (R&D)
    * Part time website developer
    * ACM Student Member (since February 2005)

    Daniel Lewis, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Daniel Lewis

    Josh Charles Guest

    I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
    looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
    it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
    knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
    for learning basic AI in ruby?

    Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

    Josh

    Josh Charles, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Daniel Lewis

    Daniel Lewis Guest

    On 22/09/05, Josh Charles <> wrote:
    > I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
    > looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
    > it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
    > knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
    > for learning basic AI in ruby?
    >
    > Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

    Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
    to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
    with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
    C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.

    I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
    graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.

    Daniel Lewis, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Daniel Lewis

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Daniel Lewis wrote:

    > Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
    > Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
    > he had written in his preface.
    >
    > In his preface he wrote:
    > "People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
    > programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
    > natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
    > mathematics."
    >
    > So I asked Dave:
    > "Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
    > email addresses that I can go-to/email?"
    >
    > and he said:
    > "Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
    > find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."
    >
    > and so here I am.
    >
    > So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
    > reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
    > am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
    > my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
    > Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
    > looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
    > out there.
    >
    > Thank you to anyone that can help,

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/ai-app-prog/
    http://rubyplayer.rubyforge.org/
    http://evonet.sourceforge.net/
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fann/

    http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr.cgi/InterestingProjects

    hth.

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Sep 22, 2005
  5. Daniel Lewis

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Daniel Lewis wrote:

    > On 22/09/05, Josh Charles <> wrote:
    >> I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
    >> looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
    >> it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
    >> knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
    >> for learning basic AI in ruby?
    >>
    >> Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

    > Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
    > to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
    > with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
    > C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.
    >
    > I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
    > graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.

    you may want to ping joel vanderwerf (frequents this group) was doing some
    work with robotic car brains - thought i could have mis-remembered this

    http://www.path.berkeley.edu:81/people/staff/vanderwerf_joel.html
    http://www.path.berkeley.edu/

    cheers.

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Hi,

    --- "Ara.T.Howard" <> wrote:

    > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ai-app-prog/
    > http://rubyplayer.rubyforge.org/
    > http://evonet.sourceforge.net/
    > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fann/
    >=20
    > http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr.cgi/InterestingProjects

    and if you are interested in NLP:

    http://www.geocities.com/ben_bongalon/rubycon/

    HTH,
    -- shanko

    Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20
    http://mail.yahoo.com=20

    Shashank Date, Sep 22, 2005
  7. --mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

    I'd suggest you find a good introduction to AI techniques, and then
    worry about implementing them in Ruby. Here's a fairly basic survey
    of the field:

    http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrica...ial-IntelligenceSpring2003/Readings/index.htm

    --mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

    --mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--

    Edward Faulkner, Sep 22, 2005
  8. Daniel Lewis

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Daniel Lewis <> wrote:
    >Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
    >Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
    >he had written in his preface.
    >
    >In his preface he wrote:
    >"People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
    >programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
    >natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
    >mathematics."
    >
    >So I asked Dave:
    >"Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
    >email addresses that I can go-to/email?"
    >
    >and he said:
    >"Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
    >find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."
    >
    >and so here I am.
    >
    >So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
    >reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
    >am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
    >my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
    >Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
    >looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
    >out there.
    >
    >Thank you to anyone that can help,
    >
    >Daniel Lewis.
    >* Ruby Programmer
    >* Fuzzy Theorist
    >* Software Engineering Student (Undergraduate)
    >* Analyst Programmer and Developer (R&D)
    >* Part time website developer
    >* ACM Student Member (since February 2005)

    I haven't done any Fuzzy Logic, but I have used Ruby to develop genetic
    algorithms, Support Vector Machines (SVM), Ant Colony Optimization and now
    Particle Swarm Optimization.

    You should also check the Sciruby site. (sorry don't have the URL handy, but
    google should find it)

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Sep 22, 2005
  9. Daniel Lewis

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Josh Charles <> wrote:
    >I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
    >looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
    >it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
    >knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
    >for learning basic AI in ruby?

    What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or maybe I
    should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Sep 22, 2005
  10. Daniel Lewis

    Josh Charles Guest

    On 9/22/05, Phil Tomson <> wrote:
    > What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or mayb=

    e I
    > should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

    Well, I have a few ideas that would effect usability and create a
    better end-user experience, but I'm still in the process of deciding
    whether or not the costs of implementing the system would be worth the
    benefits. Also, many of the features could also be implemented using a
    rules based architecture, and I know if that would be considered AI or
    not.

    It is similar to googles "did you mean aardvark?" when you search for
    "ardvark." is that considered AI?

    It is such things, I believe, that really create a good web browsing
    experience. The software I'm working on is going to be used by mainly
    non-technical small business owners, so it needds to be as friendly as
    possible.

    On a side note, this project will be a combination of .NET and Ruby,
    and I do not yet know which language the AI component will be written
    in, if it is indeed AI that I will be using.

    Josh Charles, Sep 22, 2005
  11. Daniel Lewis

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Josh Charles <> wrote:
    >On 9/22/05, Phil Tomson <> wrote:
    >> What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or mayb=

    >e I
    >> should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

    >Well, I have a few ideas that would effect usability and create a
    >better end-user experience, but I'm still in the process of deciding
    >whether or not the costs of implementing the system would be worth the
    >benefits. Also, many of the features could also be implemented using a
    >rules based architecture, and I know if that would be considered AI or
    >not.
    >
    >It is similar to googles "did you mean aardvark?" when you search for
    >"ardvark." is that considered AI?

    Good question. It may not be. Could be simply that they check each of the
    words against a dictionary and it it's not there they check for similar words
    (using Levenstein distance (sp?), for example). May not be all that much AI
    going on there.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Sep 23, 2005
  12. Daniel Lewis

    Bill Kelly Guest

    From: "Phil Tomson" <>
    > In article <>,
    > Josh Charles <> wrote:
    >
    > >It is similar to googles "did you mean aardvark?" when you search for
    > >"ardvark." is that considered AI?

    > Good question. It may not be. Could be simply that they check each of the
    > words against a dictionary and it it's not there they check for similar words
    > (using Levenstein distance (sp?), for example).

    I'd guess something like that, with more popular search
    terms weighted most heavily?

    Regards,

    Bill

    Bill Kelly, Sep 23, 2005
  13. Bill Kelly wrote:

    >I'd guess something like that, with more popular search
    >terms weighted most heavily?

    Definitely. I've had it recommend mispelled words over correctly spelled
    (don't remember what, sorry), simply because they were either more
    popular searches, or more prevalent on the web. (Not sure.)

    Devin

    Devin Mullins, Sep 23, 2005
  14. Daniel Lewis

    Paolino Guest

    Phil Tomson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Josh Charles <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 9/22/05, Phil Tomson <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or mayb=

    >>e I
    >>
    >>>should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

    >>Well, I have a few ideas that would effect usability and create a
    >>better end-user experience, but I'm still in the process of deciding
    >>whether or not the costs of implementing the system would be worth the
    >>benefits. Also, many of the features could also be implemented using a
    >>rules based architecture, and I know if that would be considered AI or
    >>not.
    >>
    >>It is similar to googles "did you mean aardvark?" when you search for
    >>"ardvark." is that considered AI?

    > Good question. It may not be. Could be simply that they check each of the
    > words against a dictionary and it it's not there they check for similar words
    > (using Levenstein distance (sp?), for example). May not be all that much AI
    > going on there.
    >
    > Phil

    Hello all.
    I come in not as a Ruby programmer,I just follow your postings from a
    Python programmer POV :)

    I'm working on the fuzzy intelligence for that sound-like service since
    a month.

    Given that a huge db of edit-distances between words is probably
    practical on some machines (I suppose a table 500000x500000/2 of floats
    would give some results), what I'm building is a clusterer for words to
    subdivide the words population in small sets each linked to some
    neighbours ,having only small qgram-distance words inside.
    For what it's worth clustering involve AI as it's a simple form of training.

    Ciau all, have fun

    ___________________________________
    http://mail.yahoo.it

    Paolino, Sep 23, 2005
  15. Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Daniel Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> On 22/09/05, Josh Charles <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
    >>> looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
    >>> it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
    >>> knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
    >>> for learning basic AI in ruby?
    >>>
    >>> Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

    >> Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
    >> to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
    >> with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
    >> C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.
    >>
    >> I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
    >> graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.

    > you may want to ping joel vanderwerf (frequents this group) was doing some
    > work with robotic car brains - thought i could have mis-remembered this
    >
    > http://www.path.berkeley.edu:81/people/staff/vanderwerf_joel.html
    > http://www.path.berkeley.edu/
    >
    > cheers.
    >
    > -a

    I like to call our simulations "artificial stupidity" rather than
    artificial intelligence, with less emphasis on optimal problem solving
    and more on modeling the imperfections of human sensing, reaction, and
    cognition. (Some well known AI packages split on this line too--ACT-R
    vs. SOAR.)

    Never done anything with fuzzy control, though. Our automated
    (non-human) control system simulations are based on hybrid automata
    (hybrid = state machines + ODEs). There are some (old) papers at

    http://PATH.Berkeley.EDU/SHIFT
    http://PATH.Berkeley.EDU/SMART-AHS

    It's not what you would call AI, but some of the hybrid simulation stuff
    might be interesting. SHIFT is obsolete, but there is a ruby-based
    evolution of it called RedShift, that has the same basic ideas.

    Joel VanderWerf, Sep 25, 2005