a server that will serve http page created from data collected by "rsh"

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by rajibsukanta@yahoo.co.in, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Dear Group,

    I am planning to develop an application in WINDOWS OS using ruby.

    The front end of the application will be an web browser.

    It is actually an NETWORK MONITORING SYSTEM comprising of about 80 UNIX
    machine.
    in each of the machine every five minutes a text file is generated
    which gives the exception report of call failures of a TELECOM
    subscribers divided into various categories like DIAL CODE,VOICE
    CALL,DATA CALL etc .

    The whole idea is to coallate these files from 80 machines and
    represent them in web browser in tabular fashion in about 20 user PCs.

    After some home work ... i have encapsulated following thoughts

    1> I need a server application that will run in each users' PC which
    will be reponsible for
    a> Collecting the 80 files ..... for this I think the server will
    need to use "rsh" service of WINDOWS.
    b> Parse through these files and compare with the previous 5minutes'
    data to see if there is any addition or deletion of failure case and
    create/append/modify the html file accordingly to serve

    2>The front end or the client application will be the standard web
    browser. Here the users will point their browser to the "localhost" to
    the appropiate location and the server will serve the file which will
    update every 5 minutes.

    I hope i could clearly state what I am trying to acheive.

    With this background . I would share the confusions that i have from
    implementation perspective.

    1> With The standard WEBBRICK/MONGREL servers .. will I be able to do
    the rsh stuff?

    2> What do you recommend to for data management ... The data that flows
    in every 5 minute will be small chunks like max 50 lines ... should i
    use YAML or MYSQL ?

    3> Doing "rsh" will require system calls and that means threading will
    be of not much help. Instead I need to fork subprocesses .. but in
    WINDOWS env ... can it be done?

    Thanks

    Rajib

    , Sep 19, 2006

  2. Re: a server that will serve http page created from data collectedby "rsh"

    wrote:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I am planning to develop an application in WINDOWS OS using ruby.
    >
    > The front end of the application will be an web browser.
    >

    > It is actually an NETWORK MONITORING SYSTEM comprising of about 80 UNIX
    > machine.
    > in each of the machine every five minutes a text file is generated
    > which gives the exception report of call failures of a TELECOM
    > subscribers divided into various categories like DIAL CODE,VOICE
    > CALL,DATA CALL etc .
    >
    > The whole idea is to coallate these files from 80 machines and
    > represent them in web browser in tabular fashion in about 20 user PCs.
    >
    > After some home work ... i have encapsulated following thoughts
    >
    > 1> I need a server application that will run in each users' PC which
    > will be reponsible for
    > a> Collecting the 80 files ..... for this I think the server will
    > need to use "rsh" service of WINDOWS.
    > b> Parse through these files and compare with the previous 5minutes'
    > data to see if there is any addition or deletion of failure case and
    > create/append/modify the html file accordingly to serve
    >
    > 2>The front end or the client application will be the standard web
    > browser. Here the users will point their browser to the "localhost" to
    > the appropiate location and the server will serve the file which will
    > update every 5 minutes.
    >

    > I hope i could clearly state what I am trying to acheive.
    >
    > With this background . I would share the confusions that i have from
    > implementation perspective.
    >
    > 1> With The standard WEBBRICK/MONGREL servers .. will I be able to do
    > the rsh stuff?
    >
    > 2> What do you recommend to for data management ... The data that flows
    > in every 5 minute will be small chunks like max 50 lines ... should i
    > use YAML or MYSQL ?
    >
    > 3> Doing "rsh" will require system calls and that means threading will
    > be of not much help. Instead I need to fork subprocesses .. but in
    > WINDOWS env ... can it be done?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Rajib

    This looks like a good candidate for Rails to me. The Model would be the
    database of systems to be monitored and the status values you want to
    retain from them. The View is of course the browser page. And the
    Controller is whatever actions your users want to be able to take.

    The questions:

    1. Since you're planning to do this on Windows, you could start with
    Instant Rails. That will give you Mongrel, weBRICK and Apache for web
    servers. The "rsh stuff" is outside of the web server. It happens on
    different TCP ports and will be executed outside the web server.

    By the way, there are security issues with "rsh". You'll want to use
    something more secure. You could use "ssh", like most of the
    Internet-based Subversion and CVS repositories do.

    2. There are really two options for data management that make sense to
    me. If you start with Instant Rails, you'll have MySQL already, so you
    might as well use it. But the other option is a little more
    "interesting", though outside the typical Rails (but not Ruby) realm.

    There's an open-source tool called "RRDTool" that is designed to be a
    back end for exactly this type of application! There is a Ruby interface
    to it but as far as I know nobody has interfaced it to Rails. It does
    have some packages available for exporting an RRD (Round Robin Database)
    to conventional databases, so you could use RRDTool for your monitoring
    data collection and management functionality and Rails for the analysis
    and presentation.

    3. Windows Ruby and Windows Ruby on Rails are both capable of doing
    this. However, if you use RRDTool, that will take care of the background
    work for you.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Sep 19, 2006