    -what codes are used to call and multiply them in ALU?
    -how can i carry my result to screen?

    Thanks in advance,

    vhdl_addicted, Apr 23, 2009

  2. Mike Treseler, Apr 23, 2009

  3. On Apr 23, 9:34 pm, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    > vhdl_addicted wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I would like to design my own first simplest CPU with VHDL codes.

    > I would consider something like this:http://www.oxfordbromley.plus.com/files/miniCPU/arch.pdf
    >
    > Google for examples.
    > Every text book has one.
    >
    >        -- Mike Treseler

    I needed a document about VHDL and cpu design with a good explanation.
    I guess it will help me out. Thanks a lot for your help. The only
    problem is how to design the datapath between Accumulator, control
    unit, Arithmetic logic unit and so on... I dont know how to drop them
    into VHDL codes. It might take time, but it will be worthy.

    vhdl_addicted, Apr 24, 2009
  4. vhdl_addicted

    Jacko Guest

    On 23 Apr, 19:34, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    > vhdl_addicted wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I would like to design my own first simplest CPU with VHDL codes.

    > I would consider something like this:http://www.oxfordbromley.plus.com/files/miniCPU/arch.pdf
    >
    > Google for examples.
    > Every text book has one.
    >
    >        -- Mike Treseler

    Not a bad little design. It does worry me some as he wants to multiply
    as his first operation. Doing the bus routing is a matter of case/when
    assignments on various decoded signals from opcodes fields. Designing
    the instruction set architecture is the hardest part. Making it too
    complex leads to an un-simple CPU, making it too simple can lead to
    dificult use or lack of turing completeness.

    Working out which routing choices are best can be done after you have
    designed the sub-units such as the ALU. You must decide how many
    operations the ALU will have, as a trade off between size, speed and
    logic utility per cycle (Computational Use Density).

    cheers jacko

    http://nibz.googlecode.com

    Jacko, Apr 25, 2009
  5. vhdl_addicted

    jesvant

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    cpu designer

    i suggest you use registers and some sort of control for the registers

    this would be the simplest way to do it

    you can email me if you have any question

    jesvant, Aug 31, 2011