A Tk window

Joel VanderWerf

Hidetoshi said:
From: Joel VanderWerf <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: A Tk window
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 05:43:28 +0900

Probably, your Tcl/Tk libraries are compiled with threads support option.
The following table is the relation of thread support between
Ruby and Tcl/Tk.

| Tcl/Tk with threads | without threads
-------------------+-----------------------+------------------------
Ruby with pthread | work | possibly work
-------------------+-----------------------+------------------------
without pthread | NOT work (freq. SEGV) | work
-------------------+-----------------------+------------------------

"--disable-tcl-thread" option doesn't change thread support status of
Tcl/Tk libraries.

You're right about my tk lib using pthread, but I'm not sure why:

$ ldd libtk8.5.so | grep thread
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7b2d000)

But I did rebuild tcl and tk with the options shown above, including
--disable-threads. The strange thing is that this worked for me in the
past with 8.4. Is there some other option that I have to pass to
configure to disable pthread?

Interestingly,

$ ldd libtcl8.5.so | grep thread

has empty output. So somehow tk is building with pthread, but tcl is
not. I used the same configure arguments for both.

I just rebuilt tk8.5.6 again with

/configure --disable-threads --prefix=/usr/local

and the still the resulting libtk8.5.so depends on libpthread.