A Windows Ruby IDE

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Friedrich Dominicus, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Dear ruby lovers, we (the Q Software Solutions GmbH) have worked on a
    Ruby IDE for Windows OSes for some time now. It will be a reasonable
    priced IDE with a
    working Resource Editor. We'll publish it in different steps.
    - first it will be a base IDE whitout the Resource Editor (Editor,
    Debugger-Frontend, Ruby interaction facilities
    - browser (Modules, Classes, Functions etc.
    - with the resource editor it will be possible to "lay-out" GUI
    graphically; the framework of the applications and the callback code
    will be generated and you will be able to jumb from the graphical view
    ot the edit view and back.

    Now we are a bit unsure about the browser facilities. We checked out
    diverse Smalltalk implementations and other browsers. We wonder if you
    would find it useful to have a "file-view". E.g if you have this

    class Foo
    include "whatever"

    it might look like
    - Foo
    -- depends on "whatever"

    Another question is would you prefer a Tree-view layout or a more
    "traditional" Smalltalk layout?

    Regards
    Friedrich

    Friedrich Dominicus, Feb 18, 2004

  2. il Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:42:11 +0100, Friedrich Dominicus
    <> ha scritto::

    just my 2 cents:

    >Dear ruby lovers, we (the Q Software Solutions GmbH) have worked on a
    >Ruby IDE for Windows OSes for some time now. It will be a reasonable
    >priced IDE with a
    >working Resource Editor.

    this is nice to hear :)

    >We'll publish it in different steps.
    >- first it will be a base IDE whitout the Resource Editor (Editor,
    >Debugger-Frontend, Ruby interaction facilities
    >- browser (Modules, Classes, Functions etc.
    >- with the resource editor it will be possible to "lay-out" GUI
    >graphically; the framework of the applications and the callback code
    >will be generated and you will be able to jumb from the graphical view
    >ot the edit view and back.

    I wonder how you do this: a win32ui or vruby or whatever?

    >Now we are a bit unsure about the browser facilities. We checked out
    >diverse Smalltalk implementations and other browsers. We wonder if you
    >would find it useful to have a "file-view". E.g if you have this

    I'd say yes

    >Another question is would you prefer a Tree-view layout or a more
    >"traditional" Smalltalk layout?

    tree view.

    gabriele renzi, Feb 18, 2004

  3. gabriele renzi <> writes:

    > I wonder how you do this: a win32ui or vruby or whatever?

    At the moment we tend to emit code for vruby. But that's not fixed.

    > I'd say yes

    Ok, one opinion, let's see what other think.
    >>Another question is would you prefer a Tree-view layout or a more
    >>"traditional" Smalltalk layout?

    > tree view.

    Interesting, any reasons you like to share?

    Regards
    Friedrich

    Friedrich Dominicus, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Friedrich Dominicus <> wrote:
    > Another question is would you prefer a Tree-view layout or a more
    > "traditional" Smalltalk layout?

    The VisualWorks system browser (part of Cincom Smalltalk) can switch
    between a package and a hierarchy view. This would be nice in Ruby,
    too. A file based view could be used instead of the VisualWorks
    package view.

    A class hierarchy only makes sense if you load lots of classes into
    the IDE. How do you handle overwrites, then?

    Cheers
    Sascha

    Sascha D?rdelmann, Feb 19, 2004
  5. il Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:29:20 +0100, Friedrich Dominicus
    <> ha scritto::

    >> tree view.

    >Interesting, any reasons you like to share?

    prolly because I don't have a ST background :)
    I mean, I find more natural to look at a tree view, that clearly
    mimics my idea of the code (gerarchical) , just like someonw that
    started programming in lisp finds more natural to use map() over for.
    BTW, I'd second the idea to build something like the VisualWorks
    system browser, that can swicth beetween the two.

    gabriele renzi, Feb 19, 2004