    that's not what I need right now.

    Any suggestions?
    , Aug 27, 2006

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > For the first time I'm doing a client/server application, and I'm
    > really confused with IPC stuff.

    Client-server applications are traditionally done with sockets.

    > I read the fastest method is shared memory, but I tryed mmap and found
    > it tedious for the amount of data I'm handling (which is 30K at most,
    > but mmap seems to get tedious for anything bigger than a boolean... am
    > I missing something?)

    Mmap is missing any kind of locks, semaphores, etc. There was an shm
    module that included this stuff but I don't know what's happened to it.
    It's really unfortunate that it was never included with Python.
    Paul Rubin, Aug 27, 2006

  3. At Sunday 27/8/2006 00:01, wrote:

    >Hey people!
    >For the first time I'm doing a client/server application, and I'm
    >really confused with IPC stuff.
    >
    >I read the fastest method is shared memory, but I tryed mmap and found
    >it tedious for the amount of data I'm handling (which is 30K at most,
    >but mmap seems to get tedious for anything bigger than a boolean... am
    >I missing something?)

    I'm a bit confused - you mean client/server running both on the same
    machine, right? Else, shared memory is of no use.
    Sockets are used, usually, but depends on your needs.

    >Then I found many solutions for forked processes (like posh), but
    >that's not what I need right now.

    Perhaps you can tell what you are trying to do...?

    Gabriel Genellina
    Softlab SRL

    Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
    está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
    ¡Probalo ya!
    http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas
    Gabriel Genellina, Aug 29, 2006
  4. flupke Guest

    schreef:
    > Hey people!
    > For the first time I'm doing a client/server application, and I'm
    > really confused with IPC stuff.
    >
    > I read the fastest method is shared memory, but I tryed mmap and found
    > it tedious for the amount of data I'm handling (which is 30K at most,
    > but mmap seems to get tedious for anything bigger than a boolean... am
    > I missing something?)
    >
    > Then I found many solutions for forked processes (like posh), but
    > that's not what I need right now.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    You can also use RPC or even use a framework to do that for you like
    Twisted. I like both approaches because they simplify communications.
    For Twisted you have the initial investement in getting to know it but
    it's also a lot more versatile
    flupke, Aug 29, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > Hey people!
    > For the first time I'm doing a client/server application, and I'm
    > really confused with IPC stuff.

    [...]
    > Any suggestions?

    http://pyro.sourceforge.net