About open-uri and ENV["HTTP_PROXY"]

Anatol Pomozov

------=_Part_7485_31986570.1134326990411

Hi, all.

I am investigating problem with Gems and proxy authorization and I have
question about open-uri code.
To be precise code from OpenURI.open_loop(uri, options) (Current version
from CVS)

when :proxy
opt_proxy =3D options.fetch:)proxy)
proxy_user =3D nil
proxy_pass =3D nil

proxy option mostly come from ENV and could contain information for basic
authorization: username and password. Something like this
http://anatol:[email protected]:8080/
and right way is parse this string and put proxy_user to anatol, proxy_pass
to pwd and proxy_url to http://www.proxy.com:8080/

The same with code a bit below
when true
find_proxy =3D lambda {|u| pxy =3D u.find_proxy; pxy ? [pxy, nil, nil=
] :
nil}

It should be
when true
find_proxy =3D lambda {|u| pxy =3D u.find_proxy; pxy ?
parse_proxy_and_find_authorization_info(pxy) : nil}

Is it logical??

Tanaka Akira

Anatol Pomozov said:
I am investigating problem with Gems and proxy authorization and I have
question about open-uri code.
To be precise code from OpenURI.open_loop(uri, options) (Current version
from CVS)

when :proxy
opt_proxy = options.fetch:)proxy)
proxy_user = nil
proxy_pass = nil

proxy option mostly come from ENV and could contain information for basic
authorization: username and password. Something like this
http://anatol:[email protected]:8080/
and right way is parse this string and put proxy_user to anatol, proxy_pass
to pwd and proxy_url to http://www.proxy.com:8080/

Environment variables are not appropriate place to store
passwords since they are visible from other users.

Note that RFC 3986 deprecates "user:password" in the
userinfo field.