about to start learning

tekhneek

im about to start learning a new language... i just thought id ask what
you guys recommended for building strong, solid windows applications
that can use the internet... etc, C#? C++? Visual Basic? C? Thanks.

Pep

im about to start learning a new language... i just thought id ask what
you guys recommended for building strong, solid windows applications
that can use the internet... etc, C#? C++? Visual Basic? C? Thanks.

Much as it pains me to say this, if you are going to be implementing code
only on a windows server then you are probably better off with c# and there
certainly is a ever increasing job market out there for c#.

C++ is a better alternative if you are planning on porting your applications
to non windows servers though this will also require you to invest heavily
in 3rd party libraries unless you plan on writing all the cgi handling
mechanisms by hand, which I do not recommend.

Personally I believe that a java based approach using technologies such as
struts and j2ee is the best approach for web applications.

BTW, I suppose I should add before anyone else jumps on you, this is a c++
group and you should really ask this sort of question in the various web
development groups :)

Good luck.

Frederick Gotham

posted:
im about to start learning a new language... i just thought id ask what
you guys recommended for building strong, solid windows applications
that can use the internet... etc, C#? C++? Visual Basic? C? Thanks.

Ask on a Java newsgroup, and they'll tell you Java.

Ask on a Visual Basic newsgroup, and they'll tell you Visual Basic.

Ask on a C# newsgroup, and they'll tell you C#.

My own personal recommendation:

Learn C++, but with a heavy bias towards C.