Academic citation of Python

Mark Livingstone

Hello!

I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.

Is there a preferred document etc to cite?

Thanks in advance,

MArkL

Mark Lawrence

Hello!

I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.

Is there a preferred document etc to cite?

Thanks in advance,

MArkL

The main website www.python.org and possibly the sites for Jython,
IronPython and PyPY?

J. Cliff Dyer

That's a rather vague question. What do you want to cite about python?
If you're just mentioning python, that shouldn't warrant a citation,
though a parenthetical note linking to python.org might be useful.

The standard documentation should be acceptable, or possibly a link to
the source code at a given revision.

Cheers,
Cliff

Rich Webb

The main website www.python.org and possibly the sites for Jython,
IronPython and PyPY?

He's probably looking for an IEC or ANSI standard, like "Information
technology — Programming languages — C INCITS/ISO/IEC 9899-2011[2012]
(ISO/IEC 9899-2011, IDT)". I don't think URLs qualify as standards
documents.

Terry Reedy

Hello!

I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.

Is there a preferred document etc to cite?

At present, I would use something like

Rossum, Guido van, et al, *The Python Language Reference*, Python
Software Foundation; http://docs.python.org/py3k/reference/index.html

with punctuation adjusted to your target. That url should continue to
work as new versions are released. If you want to cite a particular
version, http://docs.python.org/release/3.2/reference/index.html with
3.2 replaced by x.y as appropriate.

Terry Reedy

Am 16.06.2012 22:44, schrieb Terry Reedy:

Actually it's "van Rossum, Guido", not "Rossum, Guido van". The "van" is
part of the family name, not a middle name. It's like "da Vinci,
Leonardo" or "von Sydow, Max". On one occasion Guido complained that
Americans always get his name wrong.

Thank you for the correction. I was going by an old book (1996) he
co-wrote that just had 'Rossum' on the spine. I guess that must have
been done without consulting him and must have annoyed him.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Thank you for the correction. I was going by an old book (1996) he
co-wrote that just had 'Rossum' on the spine. I guess that must have
been done without consulting him and must have annoyed him.

If ALL they had on the spine was "Rossum", that may have been
correct usage for a surname only reference. The "van", "von", "da"
prefixes sort of translate to "of the" and for a book spine "of the XYZ"
may be meaningless unless the given name is included, a la "ABC of the
XYZ"...

Stefan Behnel

Dennis Lee Bieber, 17.06.2012 02:46:
If ALL they had on the spine was "Rossum", that may have been
correct usage for a surname only reference. The "van", "von", "da"
prefixes sort of translate to "of the" and for a book spine "of the XYZ"
may be meaningless unless the given name is included, a la "ABC of the
XYZ"...

It's a bit like using "New York" as a surname, when you refer to that guy
Jason who was born there, as in "Jason of New York".

Stefan

Curt

Actually it's "van Rossum, Guido", not "Rossum, Guido van". The "van" is
part of the family name, not a middle name. It's like "da Vinci,
Leonardo" or "von Sydow, Max". On one occasion Guido complained that
Americans always get his name wrong.

I've read that now he prefers Guido V. Rossum, Jr.