    Is there a preferred document etc to cite?

    Thanks in advance,

    MArkL
    Mark Livingstone, Jun 16, 2012

  2. On 16/06/2012 04:24, Mark Livingstone wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.
    >
    > Is there a preferred document etc to cite?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > MArkL

    The main website www.python.org and possibly the sites for Jython,
    IronPython and PyPY?

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.
    Mark Lawrence, Jun 16, 2012

  3. That's a rather vague question. What do you want to cite about python?
    If you're just mentioning python, that shouldn't warrant a citation,
    though a parenthetical note linking to python.org might be useful.

    The standard documentation should be acceptable, or possibly a link to
    the source code at a given revision.

    Cheers,
    Cliff

    J. Cliff Dyer, Jun 16, 2012
  4. Mark Livingstone

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 14:01:12 +0100, Mark Lawrence
    <> wrote:

    >On 16/06/2012 04:24, Mark Livingstone wrote:
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.
    >>
    >> Is there a preferred document etc to cite?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> MArkL

    >The main website www.python.org and possibly the sites for Jython,
    >IronPython and PyPY?

    He's probably looking for an IEC or ANSI standard, like "Information
    technology — Programming languages — C INCITS/ISO/IEC 9899-2011[2012]
    (ISO/IEC 9899-2011, IDT)". I don't think URLs qualify as standards
    documents.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
    Rich Webb, Jun 16, 2012
  5. Emile van Sebille, Jun 16, 2012
  6. Mark Livingstone

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 6/15/2012 11:24 PM, Mark Livingstone wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.
    >
    > Is there a preferred document etc to cite?

    At present, I would use something like

    Rossum, Guido van, et al, *The Python Language Reference*, Python
    Software Foundation; http://docs.python.org/py3k/reference/index.html

    with punctuation adjusted to your target. That url should continue to
    work as new versions are released. If you want to cite a particular
    version, http://docs.python.org/release/3.2/reference/index.html with
    3.2 replaced by x.y as appropriate.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Jun 16, 2012
  7. Mark Livingstone

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 6/16/2012 5:01 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
    > Am 16.06.2012 22:44, schrieb Terry Reedy:
    >> Rossum, Guido van, et al, *The Python Language Reference*, Python
    >> Software Foundation; http://docs.python.org/py3k/reference/index.html

    > Actually it's "van Rossum, Guido", not "Rossum, Guido van". The "van" is
    > part of the family name, not a middle name. It's like "da Vinci,
    > Leonardo" or "von Sydow, Max". On one occasion Guido complained that
    > Americans always get his name wrong.

    Thank you for the correction. I was going by an old book (1996) he
    co-wrote that just had 'Rossum' on the spine. I guess that must have
    been done without consulting him and must have annoyed him.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Jun 17, 2012
  8. On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 20:25:29 -0400, Terry Reedy <>

    > Thank you for the correction. I was going by an old book (1996) he
    > co-wrote that just had 'Rossum' on the spine. I guess that must have
    > been done without consulting him and must have annoyed him.

    If ALL they had on the spine was "Rossum", that may have been
    correct usage for a surname only reference. The "van", "von", "da"
    prefixes sort of translate to "of the" and for a book spine "of the XYZ"
    may be meaningless unless the given name is included, a la "ABC of the
    XYZ"...
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jun 17, 2012
  9. Dennis Lee Bieber, 17.06.2012 02:46:
    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 20:25:29 -0400, Terry Reedy
    >
    >> Thank you for the correction. I was going by an old book (1996) he
    >> co-wrote that just had 'Rossum' on the spine. I guess that must have
    >> been done without consulting him and must have annoyed him.

    > If ALL they had on the spine was "Rossum", that may have been
    > correct usage for a surname only reference. The "van", "von", "da"
    > prefixes sort of translate to "of the" and for a book spine "of the XYZ"
    > may be meaningless unless the given name is included, a la "ABC of the
    > XYZ"...

    It's a bit like using "New York" as a surname, when you refer to that guy
    Jason who was born there, as in "Jason of New York".

    Stefan
    Stefan Behnel, Jun 17, 2012
  10. Mark Livingstone

    Curt Guest

    On 2012-06-16, Christian Heimes <> wrote:

    > Actually it's "van Rossum, Guido", not "Rossum, Guido van". The "van" is
    > part of the family name, not a middle name. It's like "da Vinci,
    > Leonardo" or "von Sydow, Max". On one occasion Guido complained that
    > Americans always get his name wrong.

    I've read that now he prefers Guido V. Rossum, Jr.
    Curt, Jun 17, 2012
  11. Mark Livingstone

    Curt Guest

    On 2012-06-18, Ben Finney <> wrote:

    >> > Actually it's "van Rossum, Guido", not "Rossum, Guido van". The
    >> > "van" is part of the family name, not a middle name. It's like "da
    >> > Vinci, Leonardo" or "von Sydow, Max". On one occasion Guido
    >> > complained that Americans always get his name wrong.

    >> I've read that now he prefers Guido V. Rossum, Jr.

    > Citation needed.

    Sorry:

    ;-)
    Curt, Jun 18, 2012
  12. Mark Livingstone

    Ethan Furman Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:
    > Curt <> writes:
    >
    >> On 2012-06-16, Christian Heimes <> wrote:
    >>> Actually it's "van Rossum, Guido", not "Rossum, Guido van". The
    >>> "van" is part of the family name, not a middle name. It's like "da
    >>> Vinci, Leonardo" or "von Sydow, Max". On one occasion Guido
    >>> complained that Americans always get his name wrong.

    >> I've read that now he prefers Guido V. Rossum, Jr.

    > Citation needed.

    But what format should it take?

    ;)

    ~Ethan~