Access and ASP.NET working together - any advice?

phil cunningham

I am using Access to run a database within the company and also have a
website that makes some of the information available to the general public

And so far everything is working very well

q. is there any problem using Access to do all our internal work while the
DB is exposed to the web

q. if I move to SQL server can I still use all the features of Access (VBA
reporting etc) for our internal work

I really like Access and would hate to have to do everything through ASP.NET
if I don't have to

I think I just need a little advise before I get stuck into the development
work

Any feedback will be much appreciated
Phil

PS I may have double posted this!

phil cunningham

I did double post this and it has been answered elsewhere so please ignore

Phil

Rob R. Ainscough

Access is not secure at all (any version, numerous password hack tools),
however if you have Access on a secure PC that is running a web server (IIS)
the Access database will be less vulnerable than SQL Server 2000 database
since Access does NOT and can NOT "listen" on any communications port
because it doesn't have a Service running. However, if you want to keep
Access secure internally you'll need to make sure your server's directory
rights are setup correctly. Suggest you put the Access MDB in a directory
that is restricted to just your ASP.NET web app code.