Access is denied...

James

I developed a small data-entry ASP.NET app on my workstation (WinXP Pro).
It connects to a SQL Server 2000 DB using integrated security. This is
located on a server, SERVER1.
SERVER1 is also our web server.
I then built the solution, & copied its folder into the wwwroot folder on
SERVER1.
I modified the properties in IIS so that it was configured as an
application.
For Directory Security, only Windows Authentication is allowed.

I then attempted to load it, from both SERVER1, & from my workstation. No
matter what I do I always get the 'Access is denied' error. I am now at a
complete loss as to what to do; nothing appears to make any difference.

I have checked the NTFS permissions for the inetpub folder, the wwwroot
folder, & the TCTracker folder.
I have used FileMon to watch a page request, & Access is not denied!

Any suggestions?

Anon-E-Moose

For Directory Security, only Windows Authentication is allowed.

I then attempted to load it, from both SERVER1, & from my workstation. No
matter what I do I always get the 'Access is denied' error. I am now at a
complete loss as to what to do; nothing appears to make any difference.

Do you have an Active Directory on your network?

If not, you'll need to add user accounts to SERVER1.

James

The mystery deepens:

I decided to create a test app, with a single label on it. I did this, &
copied it onto the server. I then set it as an application & left anonymous
access turned on.

I still get the same error...

Guest

James said:
[...]

One thought.....

In your web.config file do you have the following: <c>

<identity impersonate="true" /> </c>

I'll be watching this thread carefully, b/c I can't figure out my own "access denied" problem.

James

Yes, identity impersonate is set.

I really am at a loss now, & am beginning to think it might be a more
serious error on the server which will require reinstalling Windows (not a
job I look forward to!)

I am just experimenting on my laptop now, trying to discover what on earth
could be causing it...

James

To add some more info:

I enabled Failure auditing, & it would appear the IWAM & IUSR users are
reporting a lack of access to the required directories (see this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811320). However, I
have explicitly enabled access to the folders in question for both of these
users.

Furthermore, if I try it on my laptop (which works) the user which actually
connects to these folders is the ASPNET user...

Strange...

James

I have now solved it, although I cannot give a cast-iron explanation as to
what was causing it. My best guess is some kind of application corruption.

I set the permissions on the relevant folders correctly, & then copied the
application back into the folder. It then worked first time, both with
anonymous access & with Windows Authentication only...