Access is denied...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by James, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I developed a small data-entry ASP.NET app on my workstation (WinXP Pro).
    It connects to a SQL Server 2000 DB using integrated security. This is
    located on a server, SERVER1.
    SERVER1 is also our web server.
    I then built the solution, & copied its folder into the wwwroot folder on
    SERVER1.
    I modified the properties in IIS so that it was configured as an
    application.
    For Directory Security, only Windows Authentication is allowed.

    I then attempted to load it, from both SERVER1, & from my workstation. No
    matter what I do I always get the 'Access is denied' error. I am now at a
    complete loss as to what to do; nothing appears to make any difference.

    I have checked the NTFS permissions for the inetpub folder, the wwwroot
    folder, & the TCTracker folder.
    I have used FileMon to watch a page request, & Access is not denied!

    Any suggestions?

    --
    Cheers,

    James Goodman

    James, Jul 29, 2004

  2. James

    Anon-E-Moose Guest

    "James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> wrote in

    > For Directory Security, only Windows Authentication is allowed.
    >
    > I then attempted to load it, from both SERVER1, & from my workstation. No
    > matter what I do I always get the 'Access is denied' error. I am now at a
    > complete loss as to what to do; nothing appears to make any difference.

    Do you have an Active Directory on your network?

    If not, you'll need to add user accounts to SERVER1.

    Anon-E-Moose, Jul 29, 2004

  3. James

    James Guest

    Yes. SERVER1 is also a domain controller...

    --
    Cheers,

    James Goodman

    James, Jul 29, 2004
  4. James

    James Guest

    The mystery deepens:

    I decided to create a test app, with a single label on it. I did this, &
    copied it onto the server. I then set it as an application & left anonymous
    access turned on.

    I still get the same error...

    --
    Cheers,

    James Goodman

    James, Jul 30, 2004

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzY2FsY2VkTWEyNA==?=, Jul 30, 2004
  6. One thought.....

    In your web.config file do you have the following: <c>

    <identity impersonate="true" /> </c>

    I'll be watching this thread carefully, b/c I can't figure out my own "access denied" problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzY2FsY2VkTWEyNA==?=, Jul 30, 2004
  7. James

    James Guest

    Yes, identity impersonate is set.

    I really am at a loss now, & am beginning to think it might be a more
    serious error on the server which will require reinstalling Windows (not a
    job I look forward to!)

    I am just experimenting on my laptop now, trying to discover what on earth
    could be causing it...

    --
    Cheers,

    James Goodman

    James, Jul 30, 2004
  8. James

    James Guest

    To add some more info:

    I enabled Failure auditing, & it would appear the IWAM & IUSR users are
    reporting a lack of access to the required directories (see this link
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811320). However, I
    have explicitly enabled access to the folders in question for both of these
    users.

    Furthermore, if I try it on my laptop (which works) the user which actually
    connects to these folders is the ASPNET user...

    Strange...

    James, Aug 1, 2004
  9. James

    James Guest

    I have now solved it, although I cannot give a cast-iron explanation as to
    what was causing it. My best guess is some kind of application corruption.

    I set the permissions on the relevant folders correctly, & then copied the
    application back into the folder. It then worked first time, both with
    anonymous access & with Windows Authentication only...

    James, Aug 1, 2004