    Nolan Martin Guest

    Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable directly.
    Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the vtable?

    Nolan Martin, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Nolan Martin

    Stone Lan Guest

    2004-7-20 14:25:59

    Nolan Martin <> wrote in message

    <XV2Lc.60214$Mr4.56908@pd7tw1no>

    > Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable

    directly.

    > Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the

    vtable?

    I think even if you find the virtual table through the "hiden" member
    variebles,you can do nothing to the content of the table,since that
    you don't know exactly the order of the pointer to the virtual
    methods,don't you?
    --
    Composed with Newz Crawler 1.7 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

    Stone Lan, Jul 20, 2004

  3. * Nolan Martin:

    > Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable directly.

    A C++ implementation need not be based on using vtables.

    Windows C++ compilers are as a rule vtable-based with access to the
    vtable for simple objects (in order to support Windows COM technology).

    However, since you're asking about this it is 100% sure that you _don't_
    need such access -- try instead to explain what you're trying to
    achieve, and if you succeed in explaining that (some code that compiles
    is recommended) you will get answers that will help you do whatever.

    > Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the vtable?

    Yes. ;-)

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Nolan Martin

    Nolan Martin Guest

    > > Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable
    > directly.
    >
    > > Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the

    > vtable?
    >

    > I think even if you find the virtual table through the "hiden" member
    > variebles,you can do nothing to the content of the table,since that
    > you don't know exactly the order of the pointer to the virtual
    > methods,don't you?

    I dont want to modify the data, just read it.

    Nolan Martin, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Nolan Martin

    Stone Lan Guest

    Re: Re: accessing the vtable

    2004-7-20 14:50:41

    "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote in message

    <>

    > * Nolan Martin:

    > > Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable

    directly.

    > A C++ implementation need not be based on using vtables.

    > Windows C++ compilers are as a rule vtable-based with access to the

    > vtable for simple objects (in order to support Windows COM

    technology).

    > However, since you're asking about this it is 100% sure that you

    _don't_

    > need such access -- try instead to explain what you're trying to

    > achieve, and if you succeed in explaining that (some code that

    compiles

    > is recommended) you will get answers that will help you do whatever.

    > > Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the

    vtable?

    > Yes. ;-)

    > --

    > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read

    text.

    > Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    > A: Top-posting.

    What resouce? Can you show me how to get it?

    many thanks!
    --
    Composed with Newz Crawler 1.7 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

    Stone Lan, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Nolan Martin

    Phlip Guest

    Phlip, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Re: Re: accessing the vtable

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:05:55 +0800, Stone Lan <>
    wrote:

    >> > Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the

    > vtable?
    >

    >> Yes. ;-)

    > What resouce? Can you show me how to get it?
    >
    > many thanks!

    Here is one example

    http://www.codesourcery.com/cxx-abi/abi.html#vtable

    john