accessing the vtable

Nolan Martin

Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable directly.
Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the vtable?

Stone Lan

2004-7-20 14:25:59

<XV2Lc.60214$Mr4.56908@pd7tw1no>

Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable directly.

Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the
vtable?

I think even if you find the virtual table through the "hiden" member
variebles,you can do nothing to the content of the table,since that
you don't know exactly the order of the pointer to the virtual
methods,don't you?

Alf P. Steinbach

* Nolan Martin:
Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable directly.

A C++ implementation need not be based on using vtables.

Windows C++ compilers are as a rule vtable-based with access to the
vtable for simple objects (in order to support Windows COM technology).

However, since you're asking about this it is 100% sure that you _don't_
need such access -- try instead to explain what you're trying to
achieve, and if you succeed in explaining that (some code that compiles
is recommended) you will get answers that will help you do whatever.

Are there any resources that detail the inner workings of the vtable?

Yes. ;-)

Nolan Martin

Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to access the vtable
directly.

vtable?

I think even if you find the virtual table through the "hiden" member
variebles,you can do nothing to the content of the table,since that
you don't know exactly the order of the pointer to the virtual
methods,don't you?

I dont want to modify the data, just read it.

Stone Lan

2004-7-20 14:50:41

<[email protected]>

* Nolan Martin: directly.

A C++ implementation need not be based on using vtables.

Windows C++ compilers are as a rule vtable-based with access to the
vtable for simple objects (in order to support Windows COM technology).

However, since you're asking about this it is 100% sure that you _don't_

need such access -- try instead to explain what you're trying to
achieve, and if you succeed in explaining that (some code that compiles

is recommended) you will get answers that will help you do whatever.

vtable?

Yes. ;-)

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

What resouce? Can you show me how to get it?

many thanks!