accessing to web service from C++

softwareEngineer

Hi All,
I'm writing an application in C++ that will access at web service.
Target platform is linux.

I can not use .NET (I'm on linux) or Java ...

Do you have any suggestion ? some example link ? some library/framework that
can I use ?

many thanks

Victor Bazarov

I'm writing an application in C++ that will access at web service.
Target platform is linux.

I can not use .NET (I'm on linux) or Java ...

Do you have any suggestion ? some example link ? some library/framework
that
can I use ?

The C++ *language* and its Standard Library have no means to "access at
web service". You need to use OS-specific means. If you ask in
'comp.os.linux.development.apps', you get a much more focused response.
Consider asking OS-specific questions in the respective OS newsgroups
first.

Juha Nieminen

Victor Bazarov said:
The C++ *language* and its Standard Library have no means to "access at
web service".

Is it really such a huge faux pas to ask here if someone knows of a good
third-party library to perform a specific task?
You need to use OS-specific means.

You make it sound like there are only two possibilities: Either using
whatever the C++ standard offers, or using "OS-specific means".

Did you know that a big bunch of C/C++ libraries out there are *not*
tied to any specific OS, but have been ported to several (so that any
program using those libraries will compile and work on any of those OS's)?

Victor Bazarov

Is it really such a huge faux pas to ask here if someone knows of a good
third-party library to perform a specific task?

That's the the OP to decide whether he/she made "a huge faux pas". Did
you read the original post? And do you contest the statement that
asking in the OS newsgroup will get the OP a better response about the
library/framework than HERE?

I am fairly certain that most here know how to boil an egg or dice a
cucumber. Hence if I ask how to make an egg-cucumber salad, *someone*
probably knows a recipe or a good web site where I'd go look for one...
But the questions on making a salad might just be a faux pas (as in a
violation of the etiquette rules, or customs).
You make it sound like there are only two possibilities: Either using
whatever the C++ standard offers, or using "OS-specific means".

Yes. As far as "accessing to web service" is concerned. Standard C++
library is not OS-specific. Network access is. Until *all* OSes out
there support connecting to a web service, that functionality will
*always* be OS-specific. Do you disagree?
Did you know that a big bunch of C/C++ libraries out there are *not*
tied to any specific OS, but have been ported to several (so that any
program using those libraries will compile and work on any of those OS's)?

What fly crawled up your ass today? Yes, I *know* that a big bunch of
libraries out there are not OS specific. WTF does this have to do with
"accessing to web service"? Do you have anything positive to contribute
or are you just going to pick on my recommendations of the better places
to ask questions?

Jorgen Grahn

That's the the OP to decide whether he/she made "a huge faux pas". Did
you read the original post? And do you contest the statement that
asking in the OS newsgroup will get the OP a better response about the
library/framework than HERE?

I suspect that Juha found your pointer to an OS newsgroup misleading
in this case. I suspect such libraries (if they exist) are largely
portable frameworks, and the people using them may not be the kind who
hang around in OS-centric newsgroups.

I don't care much for web services, but as far as I can tell it's an
area dominated by inferior languages. It would be nice if we could be
a bit helpful when people come around and want to do it using C++.
(Even when their questions are too vague, like this one.)

/Jorgen

Ebenezer

Hi All,
I'm writing an application in C++ that will access at web service.
Target platform is linux.

I can not use .NET (I'm on linux) or Java ...

Do you have any suggestion ? some example link ? some library/framework that
can I use ?

many thanks

I work on web services -- and have a C++ library
and a couple of C++ programs in an archive here --
http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html --
that you may find helpful to peruse. The software
works on Linux, Windows, and Mac OSX.

Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net

Victor Bazarov

Honestly? Yes, depending on the group. Ask in a microsoft group, and
you'll probably be referred to a .NET or ATL library instead of something
usable across a variety of systems. Ask in a gnu-oriented group, and
no one will mention something that happens to be BSD-licensed. The
participants in those groups will defend their answers as being topical
for the group, but objectively speaking a non-partisan answer would
IMHO be of better service to the OP.

Honestly. The OP stated what OS he/she was on, I recommended THAT OS'
newsgroup. What's wrong with that? Tell me. Why should he/she care
about any other OS or platform? There was NO request for portability.
In many ways, if you're looking for something that's callable from C++
and available on a wide variety of systems, this *is* one of the better
places to ask, even if it isn't strictly on-topic according to the group
charter.

I don't agree. It's like saying that if you need a legal problem
addressed, a golf newsgroup would be a better place to ask because there
are many of them there. Bullshit.
I do. There's an entire class (hee) of libraries out there that are
neither part of C++ nor specific to one OS. Boost, for example.

For "accessing to web service"? Boost? On *all* OSes? Really? *All*
of them? Really? Which part of Boost does that? Let's go, post the
damn link already!

Alexander Terekhov

Victor Bazarov wrote:
[...]
For "accessing to web service"? Boost? On *all* OSes? Really? *All*
of them? Really? Which part of Boost does that? Let's go, post the
damn link already!

Bazarov, recall your "off-topic" crying regarding (multi)threading years
ago here in this newsgroups... and then came boost.threads... and then
came the topic of threading in the official C++ (draft) standard
documents... why can't you imagine akin development for "web service"
topic? Don't repeat the same mistake, okay?

regards,
alexander.

Victor Bazarov

Victor Bazarov wrote:
[...]
For "accessing to web service"? Boost? On *all* OSes? Really? *All*
of them? Really? Which part of Boost does that? Let's go, post the
damn link already!

Bazarov, recall your "off-topic" crying regarding (multi)threading years
ago here in this newsgroups... and then came boost.threads... and then
came the topic of threading in the official C++ (draft) standard
documents... why can't you imagine akin development for "web service"
topic? Don't repeat the same mistake, okay?

regards,
alexander.

You live so far ahead of us in the future, Terekhov, that I am amazed
and awed by your visits. I am sure you're going to keep educating us,
the unwashed, on the mistakes we're making and are going to make in the
years ahead, the vision of which is so clear in your glorious mind...
In the mean time perhaps you can share with us when and how Boost is
going to add the web service... Oh, wait. The OP can't sit here for
years expecting the boost.webservice to "come". The OP needs something now.

Take a break, Terekhov. We're not trying to discuss accessing a web
service in the language, are we? (yes it would be off-topic too) The
OP needs a library/framework, I pointed him to the the OS newsgroup
where those are better known.

Keep trolling, alexander.

Michael Doubez

I suspect that Juha found your pointer to an OS newsgroup misleading
in this case. I suspect such libraries (if they exist) are largely
portable frameworks, and the people using them may not be the kind who
hang around in OS-centric newsgroups.

As a matter of fact, Poco is such a web centric library (well, it is
rather a framework).
I have not looked at it for a long time but from what I remember, it
was quite nicely done.
http://pocoproject.org/

There is also gnuSOAP if you don't mind the licensing.
I don't care much for web services, but as far as I can tell it's an
area dominated by inferior languages. It would be nice if we could be
a bit helpful when people come around and want to do it using C++.
(Even when their questions are too vague, like this one.)

I don't know what you call inferior languages; IMO people just use
what is needed for the job.

Note that a figure of SOA is Nicolai M. Josuttis which is well known
for its work in C++.

Richard

softwareEngineer <[email protected]> spake the secret code
I'm writing an application in C++ that will access at web service.
Target platform is linux.

I can not use .NET (I'm on linux) or Java ...

FYI, you can use Mono to run .NET code on linux.
Do you have any suggestion ? some example link ? some library/framework that
can I use ?

Take a look at gsoap.

<http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~engelen/soap.html>

Victor Bazarov

Why shouldn't he? Plans change, platforms evolve. Simple case in point:
Apple, a few years ago, changed from PPC to Intel chips. Devs whose code
assumed a particular endianness - perhaps because they didn't care about
"portability" - were in a world of hurt during the transition.

<shrug> I don't see the parallel. Difference in endianness is a known
problem. Because "endianness" is a universal concept. Differences in
accessing a web service do not exist because very few OSes actually
support such an access. So, a cross-platform (or, rather, a
platform-independent) solution involving endianness is necessary. A
platform-independent solution for accessing a web service is not possible.
No - not really. I used Boost as an example of a portable library that
could be legitimately referred to here in the general case.

In the general case you can. The OP wasn't talking about a general
case. At least that's what I gathered when I recommended asking in the
OS newsgroup. What was so wrong about it that you can't stop and think
about your objection and simply see that your efforts are off-target?
The rest, the notion that it applies specifically to the OPs question
about web services for instance, comes from your own hyperactive imag-
ination, for which I'm not responsible.

<sigh> My "hyperactive imagination"... Listen to yourself. So, it's my
hyperactive imagination that insists on suggesting the OS newsgroup for
inquiries about web service access, right? And for all other
OS-specific frameworks or libraries. And you keep bringing up an
IRRELEVANT portable library that doesn't address the OP's issue in the
lightest. And scorn me for not agreeing with you... I give up. It's
like arguing with a child, and I have more than enough of that at home.

Donkey Hottie

8.6.2011 17:06, Drew Lawson kirjoitti:
For searching, be aware that "web service" is a synonymn for SOAP
(Simple Object Access Protcol), which is largely XML layered on top
of HTTP.

Negative! There is also REST (RESTful Web Services) with is simpler than
SOAP. There is also XML-RPC and other older ways to do it.

However, I have used only SOAP to implement Web Services.
It can be done bare-bones in C++, but life will be easier with at
least an XML library of some sort (Xerces-C, TinyXML, etc.).

gsoap is a library implementing SOAP for C/C++.