Acovea 4.0: Analyzing GCC for AMD64 and ia32, through Evolution

Scott Robert Ladd

The latest version of Acovea uses XML configuration files to increase
its flexibility. Using a custom benchmark suite, I tested GCC 3.4
for 32-bit Intel Pentium 4 and 64-bit AMD Opteron systems, under Linux
2.6.

http://www.coyotegulch.com/acovea/acovea_4.html

This release of Acovea includes configuration files for GCC 3.3 and 3.4
running on Opteron, Pentium 3, and Pentium 4 processors. These files can
easily be copied and modified to test other compilers, hardware platforms,
and option sets.

Acovea is an optimization tool, similar in purpose and scope to profiling.
Traditional function-level profiling identifies the algorithms most
influential in a program's performance; after those routines have been
hand-tuned, Acovea will find the compiler options and flags that generate
the fastest code.

Acovea also tests combinations of flags for pessimistic interactions,
and it stresses compiler reliability.

Released under the GPL, Acovea is free-as-in-liberty software.

...Scott