acrobat doesn't close

Andrew Poulos

I'm testing the embedding of a PDF in a page

<embed
src="test.pdf"
style="position:absolute; left:10px; top:10px; width:290px;
height:390px;">
</embed>

I installed acrobat reader version 8.1 (I think) of the reader. The
problem is that when the browser is closed the reader doesn't close.

AcrodRd32.exe continues running for about 30 seconds so if I navigate to
a bunch of pages fairly quickly I get an error about having reached the
maximum numbers of PDF instances a browser window can open.

Is there a way to "force" acrobat reader to close?

Andrew Poulos

Erwin Moller

Andrew Poulos schreef:
I'm testing the embedding of a PDF in a page

<embed
src="test.pdf"
style="position:absolute; left:10px; top:10px; width:290px;
height:390px;">
</embed>

I installed acrobat reader version 8.1 (I think) of the reader. The
problem is that when the browser is closed the reader doesn't close.

AcrodRd32.exe continues running for about 30 seconds so if I navigate to
a bunch of pages fairly quickly I get an error about having reached the
maximum numbers of PDF instances a browser window can open.

Is there a way to "force" acrobat reader to close?

Andrew Poulos

Hi Andrew,

I doubt you will solve this in JavaScript.
You didn't use JavaScript to open the pfd, you didn't use JavaScript to
modify it, so what makes you think JavaScript will close it?
Let alone JavaScript closes a running exe....

Try a Adobe newsgroup.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Andrew Poulos

Thomas said:
Is there a way for you to post on-topic?

Sorry I was kind of hoping there was something javascript could do to
release whatever acrobat reader was holding onto.

Andrew Poulos

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Andrew said:
Sorry I was kind of hoping there was something javascript could do to
release whatever acrobat reader was holding onto.

You have not been thinking this through. If what you describe would be
generally possible with client-side HTML-UA-based scripting, any Web site
could close any application you are running, except if you had script
support disabled.

That Adobe Reader keeps running in the background is not a bug, it's a
feature. A bad one at that, but such happens frequently with monopolist's
software. Try Foxit Reader instead; it won't give you a plugin for Firefox
(yet), but it will also not keep system resources reserved when not needed.

BTW, your markup is unnecessarily invalid. <http://validator.w3.org/>

PointedEars

Andrew Poulos

Thomas said:
You have not been thinking this through. If what you describe would be
generally possible with client-side HTML-UA-based scripting, any Web site
could close any application you are running, except if you had script
support disabled.

I thought (wrongly) that as some HTML is causing the reader to launch
then perhaps...
That Adobe Reader keeps running in the background is not a bug, it's a
feature. A bad one at that, but such happens frequently with monopolist's
software. Try Foxit Reader instead; it won't give you a plugin for Firefox
(yet), but it will also not keep system resources reserved when not needed.

I have enough trouble with plugins without asking my users to install
some small player's plugin (even though it may indeed be vastly superior
software).
BTW, your markup is unnecessarily invalid. <http://validator.w3.org/>

This is something I've been struggling with: do I strive for 100%
standards compliance or should I take a more pragmatic approach. With
some media I'm finding that going for a 100% standards compliant
solution actually results in other issues that I've not been able to solve.

Andrew Poulos