Active Home Page

laura

I have been trying to produce an intranet for the past few months for a
small company. I'm almost there with it - it has some ASP, some JavaScript
and about 18 HTML pages.

What I need help on right now is this. They want to be able to have a very
short, two sentences maybe, Daily Notice on the home page of the intranet.
They will not have anyone there who can amend the intranet on a frequent
basis, so I thought I would try to do something like having a text file
which they can easily update and copy into the right directory on the server
and although I can do this using INCLUDE PAGE on an ASP page and picking up
the text and dumping it into a <div> </div> with scroll bars - I cannot seem
to be able to think of a way of doing it on the index.htm home page as this
is not and ASP page.

Is there any way in HTML to be able to read the contents of a text file into
the browser or can anyone suggest a better way of having this Daily Notice
type of thing work with current text on the home page of the intranet?

Hope this is not too confusing..
Laura TD

Evertjan.

laura wrote on 26 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I have been trying to produce an intranet for the past few months for
a small company. I'm almost there with it - it has some ASP, some
JavaScript and about 18 HTML pages.

ASP and javascript are not opposites.
ASP can be written in j[ava]script or in vbscript.
ASP renders html pages.

What I need help on right now is this. They want to be able to have a
very short, two sentences maybe, Daily Notice on the home page of the
intranet. They will not have anyone there who can amend the intranet
on a frequent basis, so I thought I would try to do something like
having a text file which they can easily update and copy into the
right directory on the server and although I can do this using INCLUDE
PAGE on an ASP page and picking up the text and dumping it into a
way of doing it on the index.htm home page as this is not and ASP
page.

Is there any way in HTML to be able to read the contents of a text
file into the browser or can anyone suggest a better way of having
this Daily Notice type of thing work with current text on the home
page of the intranet?

You can set IIS to see and run .htm extention pages as asp pages,
but far easier just rename all .htm pages to .asp pages.

..asp pages do NOT have to have any asp code in them!!!!

For external [incoming!] links, that you don't want to lose,
you could write a short redirection code in your custom 404.asp page.
Hope this is not too confusing..

As long as you are open to the above new ways it is easy.

<pre style='border-style:inset;width:70%;height:400px;'>
<!--#include virtual ="/blub/myText.txt"-->
</pre>

If you are not allowed to rename index.htm for one absurd reason or
another, just fill the index.htm only with:

content="1;url=http://www.mydomain.com/index.asp">

after(!!) copying the old content of index.htm to index.asp.

laura

Some brilliant advice, tips, suggestions and help and I want to say thank
you so much. I will try these things soon and leave a message on this thread
to let you know how I got on. MANY THANKS.
Laura