Active link problem driving me nuts!

Fran Cotton

How do you stop the "active link" colour from disappearing when you click on
a div or span
part of a javascript tree that doesn't result in a new page being displayed,
only a new branch
being opened or closed?

I'll clarify further:

Imagine the following tree where (h) means the node is a hyperlink:

Products
product a (h)
product b (h)
Services
IT
bespoke software (h)
Eductation
tutoring (h)
consultancy (h)
About Us (h)

If I select About Us, my main frame updates and About Us turns green ( my
active link colour ) as expected.
If I then click on tutoring, the green colour shifts and the frame updates
as expected. However, if I then click
on IT, I lose the active link on tutoring!! This shouldn't happen as the
tutoring page is still being shown in the
main frame. The tutoring tree node shouldn't lose its active link colour as
IT is a branch in a tree, not a leaf node
or document to be rendered and hence be active.

Many thanks in advance! ( this is driving me nuts! )

btw, I'm using Internet Explorer 5.5 if that helps.

Fran

David Dorward

Fran said:
If I select About Us, my main frame updates and About Us turns green ( my
active link colour ) as expected.
If I then click on tutoring, the green colour shifts and the frame updates
as expected. However, if I then click on IT, I lose the active link on
tutoring!! This shouldn't happen as the tutoring page is still being shown
in the main frame.

Have another read of the manual. "Active" does not mean "being displayed in
some frame"

"The :active pseudo-class applies while an element is being activated by the
user. For example, between the times the user presses the mouse button and
releases it."

Fran Cotton

Thanks!

So, is there a way of making loss of activeness dependent upon clicking on
another hyperlink as opposed to a div or span element or anything else???
I'd really like the hyperlink of the currently viewed page in the main frame
to remain green for example until a new page has been selected.