    more easy and more productive IDE's for perl?

    I'm urining Gnome v. 12.2.2 and Eric v 3.8.1

    Thanks Steve
    Steve Thompson, Nov 24, 2006

  2. Steve Thompson wrote:

    > I was wondering the differnced there were betwee Active State's python and
    > the open source version of python.

    The biggest difference at the moment is that ActiveState is still using
    Python 2.4.3 in their distribution. They should be coming out with 2.5
    soon.

    Sounds like you are running Suse? So you already have some version of
    Python, right? You can search this group at comp.lang.python on Google
    Groups--try "python versions linux"--or something like that--but the
    issue you need to watch out for is running two different versions on
    Linux.

    Long and short, you don't want to uninstall the version of Python that
    came with your Suse, because other programs on your machine probably
    use that particular version. It's easy to install an ADDITIONAL
    distribution of Python and run it separately, but again. Search the
    list
    for how to do that, and how to run them separately once you do.

    I'm just moving to Linux myself, so can't provide the expertise. Unless
    there is some killer feature of 2.5 you need, I would just use the
    Python that came with your Suse.

    rd
    BartlebyScrivener, Nov 24, 2006

  3. On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 06:35:21 -0500, Steve Thompson wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I was wondering the differnced there were betwee Active State's python and
    > the open source version of python. Would I have to unistall my opend souce
    > python? Additonally, how does Active State's Komodo IDE vs. the eric3 IDE
    > unler SuSE Linux v. 10.i?
    >
    > Addionally, is the eric IDE (version 3) an acceptible IDE or are there
    > more easy and more productive IDE's for perl?
    >
    > I'm urining Gnome v. 12.2.2 and Eric v 3.8.1
    >
    > Thanks Steve

    Sorry, it was too early in the morning when I wrote this. The last 2
    paragraphs should read "Addionally, is the eric IDE (version 3) an acceptible IDE or are there
    more easy and more productive IDE's for python?".

    "I'm using Gnome v. 12.2.2 and Eric v 3.8.1"

    Thanks again,

    Steve
    Steve Thompson, Nov 24, 2006
  4. On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:09:36 -0800, BartlebyScrivener wrote:

    > Steve Thompson wrote:
    >>
    >> I was wondering the differnced there were betwee Active State's python and
    >> the open source version of python.

    > The biggest difference at the moment is that ActiveState is still using
    > Python 2.4.3 in their distribution. They should be coming out with 2.5
    > soon.
    >
    > Sounds like you are running Suse? So you already have some version of
    > Python, right? You can search this group at comp.lang.python on Google
    > Groups--try "python versions linux"--or something like that--but the
    > issue you need to watch out for is running two different versions on
    > Linux.
    >
    > Long and short, you don't want to uninstall the version of Python that
    > came with your Suse, because other programs on your machine probably
    > use that particular version. It's easy to install an ADDITIONAL
    > distribution of Python and run it separately, but again. Search the
    > list
    > for how to do that, and how to run them separately once you do.
    >
    > I'm just moving to Linux myself, so can't provide the expertise. Unless
    > there is some killer feature of 2.5 you need, I would just use the
    > Python that came with your Suse.
    >
    > rd

    Thanks BartlebyScrivener, but are there any other IDE's that are better,
    in your opinion, than Eric version 3. I'm using gnome and eric is built
    for KDE. I don't care it there open source or Id I have tp puchase one.

    Thanks again,

    Steve
    Steve Thompson, Nov 24, 2006
  5. Steve Thompson wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 06:35:21 -0500, Steve Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > Addionally, is the eric IDE (version 3) an acceptible IDE or are there
    > > more easy and more productive IDE's for perl?

    Perl? You're on a Python list? Anyway, the subject of IDEs comes up
    every other day. If you want comparisons or discussion of Eric and
    Python, search the group for "Eric IDE"

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/search?q=eric ide&start=0&scoring=d&

    If the link breaks, use:

    http://tinyurl.com/yxy8vv

    I use vim 7.0 and Komodo myself. Both are cross platform. You'll see
    hundreds of different opinions here.

    rd

    "A couple of months in the laboratory can save a couple of hours in the
    library."
    BartlebyScrivener, Nov 24, 2006
  6. Steve Thompson

    hg Guest

    Steve Thompson wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:09:36 -0800, BartlebyScrivener wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Thompson wrote:
    >>> I was wondering the differnced there were betwee Active State's python and
    >>> the open source version of python.

    >> The biggest difference at the moment is that ActiveState is still using
    >> Python 2.4.3 in their distribution. They should be coming out with 2.5
    >> soon.
    >>
    >> Sounds like you are running Suse? So you already have some version of
    >> Python, right? You can search this group at comp.lang.python on Google
    >> Groups--try "python versions linux"--or something like that--but the
    >> issue you need to watch out for is running two different versions on
    >> Linux.
    >>
    >> Long and short, you don't want to uninstall the version of Python that
    >> came with your Suse, because other programs on your machine probably
    >> use that particular version. It's easy to install an ADDITIONAL
    >> distribution of Python and run it separately, but again. Search the
    >> list
    >> for how to do that, and how to run them separately once you do.
    >>
    >> I'm just moving to Linux myself, so can't provide the expertise. Unless
    >> there is some killer feature of 2.5 you need, I would just use the
    >> Python that came with your Suse.
    >>
    >> rd

    > Thanks BartlebyScrivener, but are there any other IDE's that are better,
    > in your opinion, than Eric version 3. I'm using gnome and eric is built
    > for KDE. I don't care it there open source or Id I have tp puchase one.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Steve

    I like Eclipse/Pydev better

    hg
    hg, Nov 24, 2006
  7. Steve Thompson

    John Machin Guest

    Steve Thompson wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I was wondering the differnced there were betwee Active State's python and
    > the open source version of python. Would I have to unistall my opend souce
    > python? Additonally, how does Active State's Komodo IDE vs. the eric3 IDE
    > unler SuSE Linux v. 10.i?
    >
    > Addionally, is the eric IDE (version 3) an acceptible IDE or are there
    > more easy and more productive IDE's for perl?
    >
    > I'm urining Gnome v. 12.2.2 and Eric v 3.8.1

    I'm not sure which to recommend: a spelling checker or a catheter :)
    John Machin, Nov 24, 2006
  8. Steve Thompson

    hg Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > Steve Thompson wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I was wondering the differnced there were betwee Active State's python and
    >> the open source version of python. Would I have to unistall my opend souce
    >> python? Additonally, how does Active State's Komodo IDE vs. the eric3 IDE
    >> unler SuSE Linux v. 10.i?
    >>
    >> Addionally, is the eric IDE (version 3) an acceptible IDE or are there
    >> more easy and more productive IDE's for perl?
    >>
    >> I'm urining Gnome v. 12.2.2 and Eric v 3.8.1

    > I'm not sure which to recommend: a spelling checker or a catheter :)

    You _are_ bad !
    hg, Nov 24, 2006
  9. Steve Thompson

    Trent Mick Guest

    Steve Thompson wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I was wondering the differnced there were betwee Active State's python and
    > the open source version of python.

    Here is the best answer to that:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...ctivePython trent&hl=en&#doc_b6f732ab2c8434ef
    http://tinyurl.com/y7r47q

    > Would I have to unistall my opend souce
    > python?

    No. As BartlebyScrivener wrote you shouldn't do that. You can easily install
    ActivePython side-by-side with another Python install on Linux.

    > Additonally, how does Active State's Komodo IDE vs. the eric3 IDE
    > unler SuSE Linux v. 10.i?
    >
    > Addionally, is the eric IDE (version 3) an acceptible IDE or are there
    > more easy and more productive IDE's for perl?

    *I* like Komodo, but then I am biased because I am one of its developers. :)
    I presume you meant Python instead of Perl there, but if not, Komodo does
    support Perl as well as Python (and PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Tcl and XSLT too).

    This is a pretty good review of Python IDEs (although note that most, if not
    all, of the IDEs reviewed there will have advanced a few versions).

    http://spyced.blogspot.com/2005/09/review-of-6-python-ides.html

    Komodo 4 is currently under public beta (Komodo 4 beta 1 is out now and beta 2
    should be released later this week). Try it out:

    http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo/beta.plex#features

    Cheers,
    Trent

    --