Active_Ldap Base Config Question

jackster the jackle

I haven't done much with polling AD in the past but I am now trying to
write a basic script using active_ldap that pulls a list of users from
AD. The following code I have here doesn't work but the thing that
bothers me the most is that when I use a sniffer on the AD server, I
don't see any attempt by the script to communicate with the server.

require 'rubygems'
require 'active_ldap'

ActiveLdap::Base.setup_connection(
:host => "10.1.1.1",
:user => "admin",
:password => "password",
:base => "dc=voice,dc=company,dc=com"
)
all_users = Group.find:)all, '*')
puts all_users

The actual error I get is:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:443:in
`load_missing_constant': uninitialized constant Group (NameError)

Any ideas as to why this basic config isn't working?

Thanks

jack

Sven Schott

Haven't used that particular gem (I use ActiveDirectory myself) but it looks
like just a namespace issue. You haven't included the namespace therefore
you would require the full object path e.g. ActiveLdap::Group.find:)all,
"*")

jackster the jackle

Putting in the full object path renders the same error message, I'm
afraid.

To be honest, I don't have a preference toward Active_Ldap, I just
thought that it was the most common way to do AD lookups but if
ActiveDirectory works for you, can you please give me a link to the
binary (unleass it's a gem?) and perhaps a sample of a base config?

thanks

jack

Sven Schott

Ah, my bad. For every complex problem there is a solution that is clear,
simple and wrong :)

The ActiveDirectory lib works for me but hasn't been updated in a while. It
can be found at:

http://code.google.com/p/ruby-activedirectory/

Setup is fairly much the same:

ActiveDirectory::Base.server_settings = {
:host => "hostname or ip address",
:port => 3268,
:username => "username",
:password => "password",
:domain => "your.ad.domain.here",
:base_dn => "DC=your,DC=base,DC=dn"
}

But I get the feeling that you might have the same issue. I seem to remember
that this was a rails+gem version problem since I had this this same issue
with the activedirectory gem once upon a time. What version of rails are you
using? Did you upgrade it recently?

jackster the jackle

Sven said:
Sorry I just assumed: are you running rails? That's what I was using it
with
so I just made the assumption. Better question: What version of ruby and
gem
are you running?

Yes, I'm running this directly through ruby version 1.8.6.

Gems is version 1.3.5

thanks

Sven Schott

I just installed and tried it and got the same thing. I read the docs and
found that you need to subclass Base to get a mapping. e.g.

class User < ActiveLdap::Base
ldap_mapping
end

And the config is different. So here is what I got so far:

require 'active_ldap'

ActiveLdap::Base.setup_connection(
:host => "hostname",
:bind_dn => "username",
:password => "passwords",
:base => "DC=your,DC=ldap,DC=base"
)

class User < ActiveLdap::Base
ldap_mapping
end

That gets me the connection at least.

Sorry I just assumed: are you running rails? That's what I was using it
with so I just made the assumption. Better question: What version of ruby
and gem are you running?

jackster the jackle

unfortunately, that doesn't give me a tcp connection either....but
thanks for the effort

jack

Kouhei Sutou

Hi,

In <[email protected]>
"Active_Ldap Base Config Question" on Thu, 12 Nov 2009 03:39:28 +0900,
jackster the jackle said:
[...]

You need to define your Group class:
class Group < ActiveLdap::Base
ldap_mapping :dn_attribute => "cn",
:classes => ['posixGroup']
# Inspired by ActiveRecord, this tells ActiveLDAP that the
# LDAP entry has a attribute which contains one or more of
# some class |:class_name| where the attributes name is
# |:local_key|. This means that it will call
# :class_name.new(value_of:)local_key)) to create the objects.
has_many :members, :class_name => "User", :wrap => "memberUid"
has_many :primary_members, :class_name => 'User',
:foreign_key => 'gidNumber',
:primary_key => 'gidNumber'
end # Group

# from http://code.google.com/p/ruby-activeldap/source/browse/trunk/examples/objects/group.rb

I confused the lines:
all_users = Group.find:)all, '*')
puts all_users

Did you want to write like the following?
all_groups = Group.all
puts all_groups

Thanks,