Add two onload links to a php page?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ohmster, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. Ohmster

    Ohmster Guest

    I run a small web site for a friend, it is very popular with the email
    stationery community.

    http://www.lettermanstationery.com/

    All of the pages on the site have two links in the head code to load the blue
    navigation bar on the site and the page header:

    <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="lettermanCSS.css">

    <SCRIPT language=vbs src="onload.vbs"></SCRIPT>

    </HEAD>

    I have no problem with adding these two tags on all of the pages of the web
    site, but now I have added a php guestbook. Since the guestbook is all php, I
    don't know how to add these two loading links into a php page. Whenever I try
    it, it fails. The php guestbook also has a style.css page that determines the
    fonts and colors for the guestbook.

    My question is how do I add these two elements to the index.php page or to
    the style.css page? If I cannot do this, then can I create a blank index.html
    page for the openbook directory, have the two elements load, and have the
    rest of the page display the active index.php page? How would one do this,
    would one use an iframe or something? I really have no idea on how to do this
    and I really need help desperately, please help.

    Thank you.

    --
    My email address is invalid, thanks to
    all of these rotten spambots.
    Ohmster, Sep 25, 2004

  2. Ohmster

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Ohmster wrote:
    > http://www.lettermanstationery.com/
    > All of the pages on the site have two links in the head code to load
    > the blue navigation bar on the site and the page header:
    > <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="lettermanCSS.css">
    > <SCRIPT language=vbs src="onload.vbs"></SCRIPT>
    > I have no problem with adding these two tags on all of the pages of
    > the web site, but now I have added a php guestbook. Since the
    > guestbook is all php, I don't know how to add these two loading links
    > into a php page. Whenever I try it, it fails. The php guestbook also
    > has a style.css page that determines the fonts and colors for the
    > guestbook.
    >
    > My question is how do I add these two elements to the index.php page
    > or to the style.css page?

    Make a blank page with the basic layout (menu, heading, content)
    Include the coding for the guestbook in the content box
    In the head section, between <script type="text/css>..>/script> you add the
    css that is appropriate for the guestbook.

    But, in a site that has no navigation when js is disabled and waists about
    70% of my screen, this is only a very minor problem :0
    --
    Nico
    www.nicoschuyt.nl
    Nico Schuyt, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Ohmster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Ohmster wrote:

    > <SCRIPT language=vbs src="onload.vbs"></SCRIPT>

    This is dumb for so many reasons. Here are a few:

    1. The language attribute is deprecated.
    2. "vbs" is probably not the correct value for it.
    3. The type attribute is required, but not included in your example.
    4. VBScript is supported by only one browser, whereas Javascript is
    supported by more.
    5. You seem to relying entirely on client-side scripting for your menu. If
    you're already using PHP, then include your menu that way.

    You seem to be poking about blindly. Start from the beginning. Start
    simple. If you make things smiple you can't screw them up.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./texas/white_on_blonde/13_good_advice.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Ohmster

    Ohmster Guest

    Toby Inkster <> wrote in

    > You seem to be poking about blindly. Start from the beginning. Start
    > simple. If you make things smiple you can't screw them up.

    Yeah it really is done in VB and the files are .vbs. I did not originally
    author the site, a VB programmer did to make resources available for Outlook
    Express Stationery users.

    True, true, it is not browser compliant with anything other than IE but it
    was designed that way (Not to exclude other browsers, but to utilize the
    VBScript that is prevailent throughout the site. The originial author has
    retired and it not available to assist with this project, we are preserving
    the original site for those that want to use it. A guest book was added for
    them to leave comments.

    The blue navigation pane is on every page of the site but it really is
    VBScript and I cannot figure out how to make it "play nice" with the PHP
    guestbook. If I can somehow "embed" the php page into a blank html page with
    the necessary navigation bar, that might work. Not sure what else to do.

    Thanks for looking and listening.

    Ohmster, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Ohmster

    Dave Patton Guest

    Ohmster <> wrote in

    > I run a small web site for a friend, it is very popular with the email
    > stationery community.
    >
    > http://www.lettermanstationery.com/
    >
    > All of the pages on the site have two links in the head code to load
    > the blue navigation bar on the site and the page header:
    >
    ><LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="lettermanCSS.css">
    >
    ><SCRIPT language=vbs src="onload.vbs"></SCRIPT>
    >
    ></HEAD>
    >
    > I have no problem with adding these two tags on all of the pages of
    > the web site, but now I have added a php guestbook. Since the
    > guestbook is all php, I don't know how to add these two loading links
    > into a php page. Whenever I try it, it fails.

    You "simply" edit the PHP, and add the statements necessary to
    include the above in the HTML output. How "simple" it is depends
    on how the guestbook application was written, but from a strictly
    PHP point of view, it's trivial. In fact, if the guestbook uses
    a template, it may be as simple as editing the template.

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Sep 25, 2004