AdRotator Component doesn't Rotate Ads

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Apostolis K., Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Apostolis K.

    Apostolis K. Guest

    I include an AdRotator component but the component doesn't rotate the ads
    _index.asp_
    <%
    Set objAd=Server.CreateObject("MSWC.AdRotator")
    vAdRotation=objAd.GetAdvertisement("ads.txt")

    Response.Write "<center>" & vAdRotation & "</center>"

    %>
    _ads.txt_
    REDIRECT redirect.asp
    *
    1.jpg
    http:www.1.com
    1.com
    1
    2.jpg
    http:www.2.com
    2.com
    1
    3.jpg
    http:www.3.com
    3.com
    1
    4.jpg
    http:www.4.com
    4.com
    1
    5.jpg
    http:www.5.com
    5.com
    redirect.asp
    <%
    vURL=Request.QueryString("url")
    Response.Redirect vURL
    %>
    Apostolis K., Feb 2, 2004

  2. Apostolis K.

    Luka POZVEK Guest

    Hello!

    Try with different values for time each ad is displayed in .txt file. So,
    modify the .txt file like this:

    > _ads.txt_
    > REDIRECT redirect.asp
    > *
    > 1.jpg
    > http:www.1.com
    > 1.com
    >20
    > 2.jpg
    > http:www.2.com
    > 2.com
    > 20
    > 3.jpg
    > http:www.3.com
    > 3.com
    > 20
    > 4.jpg
    > http:www.4.com
    > 4.com
    > 20
    > 5.jpg
    > http:www.5.com
    > 5.com
    > 20

    This means that every ad has 20% time or one fifth to display.
    Hope it works!

    Luka

    Luka POZVEK, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Apostolis K.

    Apostolis K. Guest

    > Try with different values for time each ad is displayed in .txt file. So,
    > modify the .txt file

    I ve already tried with differrent values but the result is the same
    Apostolis K., Feb 2, 2004
  4. Apostolis K.

    Apostolis K. Guest

    If I change to the values you say, can you tell me how long (in
    seconds/minutes) every ad is supposed to appear on the screen?
    Apostolis K., Feb 2, 2004
  5. Apostolis K.

    Dave Guest

    I think the ads only rotate with each page refresh or redisplay. And the
    same ad may appear again on a page refresh but if you keep pressing F5, you
    will eventually see a different ad. I don't think the ads rotate on a static
    page.

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 3, 2004
  6. Apostolis K.

    Ray at Guest

    Tru dat.

    --

    Ray at home
    Microsoft ASP MVP

    Ray at, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Apostolis K.

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Dave" wrote ...

    > I think the ads only rotate with each page refresh or redisplay. And the
    > same ad may appear again on a page refresh but if you keep pressing F5,

    you
    > will eventually see a different ad. I don't think the ads rotate on a

    static
    > page.

    So options for him might be :

    use frames (eew) - and refresh the top frame every x minutes or something
    just refresh the current page (assuming that there are no forms and stuff)
    make an animated .gif

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Apostolis K.

    Apostolis K. Guest

    > So options for him might be :
    > use frames (eew) - and refresh the top frame every x minutes or something
    > just refresh the current page (assuming that there are no forms and stuff)
    > make an animated .gif

    I thought that this component rotates the ads by itself. If I want a true ad
    rotator I could easy create one on my own with javascript
    Apostolis K., Feb 4, 2004
  9. Apostolis K.

    Ray at Guest

    It does do it. But remember, it's a SERVER-SIDE component, not a
    client-side thing.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Apostolis K.

    Apostolis K. Guest

    > It does do it. But remember, it's a SERVER-SIDE component, not a
    > client-side thing.

    Yes but not in real time. You have to reload the page so the ad is changed
    Apostolis K., Feb 4, 2004
  11. Apostolis K.

    Ray at Guest

    > > It does do it. But remember, it's a SERVER-SIDE component, not a
    > > client-side thing.

    > Yes but not in real time. You have to reload the page so the ad is changed

    Well, yes, of course. It's an Active SERVER Pages component, not an active
    CLIENT pages thing.

    Ray at work
    Ray at, Feb 4, 2004