Advanced C struct programming : data structure design andimplementation in C / John W.L. Ogilvie

Discussion in 'C++' started by bolega, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. bolega

    bolega Guest

    I have been recommended the following book as an excellent book with
    some very original ideas and perspectives. Unfortunately, its no where
    near and even if I get from the library it will take 6 month atleast
    to read. Can some kind soul find me a link to download a soft copy ?
    please be sure that the link has atleast 400 dots per inch and also
    only black and white, no grey or color unless original is such.

    Thanks a lot.

    Author Ogilvie, John W. L
    Title Advanced C struct programming : data structure design and
    implementation in C / John W.L. Ogilvie
    Imprint New York : Wiley, c1990
    Collation xvi, 412 p. : ill. ; 24 cm
    Series Wiley professional computing
    Subject C (Computer program language)
    Note Includes bibliographical references (p. 406) and indexes

    bolega, Aug 29, 2009

  2. bolega

    bolega Guest

    Book Review
    Advanced C Struct Programming by John W.L. Ogilvie
    Highly Recommended
    ISBN: 0-471-51943-X Publisher: Wiley Pages: 405pp
    Price: £22.95

    Categories: advanced c data structures
    Reviewed by Francis Glassborow in C Vu 3-2 (Jan 1991)

    This is the kind of book that I might easily miss on a casual visit to
    my local bookshop. In all honesty my first impression when I opened it
    was not that good. It is aimed at people who wish to take programming
    seriously yet it first seemed more like the kind of text that I am
    used to finding on the hobbyists shelves. It is much better than that.
    When you have mastered the foothills of programming in C, have a good
    runtime library reference on your shelf and, perhaps, have invested in
    a book on data structures and another on programming algorithms or
    techniques what do you get to help you develop good medium size
    programs (all right large ones if you must)?

    If you had asked my advice a month ago, I would have hummed and hawed
    and come up with a couple of titles and then suggested that what you
    really wanted was a book on program/data design rather than one on C.

    Advanced C Struct Programming tackles this need. The author's declared
    intent is to present a practical method for designing and implementing
    complex (complicated) data structures in C. In doing so he leads you
    through experience (sometimes of false trails) in tackling a number of
    different programming problems.

    The book does not include complete applications or libraries of source
    code. It is a book to be worked through. By the time you have finished
    it you should be a much better programmer. Let me warn you that it is
    not a book to dip into in that odd spare moment. If that is all you
    have time for then go and do something else.

    On the other hand it is not like some of the books above that will
    take you years to fully grasp (if ever). Buy this book, set aside a
    regular time to work at it, stick to your routine and find yourself
    becoming far more professional in your programming.

    Yes, I like it and it is not machine dependant. For once I am glad
    that the supporting discs are relatively expensive ($39.95 in IBM and
    Apple Mac formats) as I think that you will only get the full benefit
    by grafting at the keyboard yourself.

    Last Update - 13 May 2001.

    To link to this review, please use the URL:
    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/a/a000142.htm

    Copyright © The Association of C & C++ Users 1998-2000. All rights
    reserved.
    Mirrored from http://www.accu.org/

    bolega, Aug 29, 2009

  3. On Aug 29, 2:07 am, bolega <> wrote:
    > I have been recommended the following book as an excellent book with
    > some very original ideas and perspectives.

    My reaction when reading it was "Meh." It may have been ahead of its
    time, but I didn't find any ideas and perspectives that were
    especially original and revolutionary from a modern view. Though it's
    still a decent read if you're not put off by K&R syntax.

    > Unfortunately, its no where
    > near and even if I get from the library it will take 6 month atleast
    > to read. Can some kind soul find me a link to download a soft copy ?

    To the best of my knowledge, no such soft copy exists. However, the
    hard copy is both inexpensive and available on www.amazon.com.

    Julienne Walker, Aug 29, 2009