    across to it and it seems a good framework. But again, I know little
    about struts.

    Thanks for the responds !
    Joe, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Joe wrote:

    > Can someone explain to me briefly the Advantage and DisAdvantage of
    > Jakarta Strut? Of course not all framework are created perfect. I came
    > across to it and it seems a good framework. But again, I know little
    > about struts.
    >
    > Thanks for the responds !

    The good thing about Struts is, it gives you a very streamlined approach
    on handling dynamic webpages, especially those handling some kind of
    forms and processing them. Using Struts thus enforces the use of "best
    practices" for creating web applications and makes the writing of
    spaghetti code much more difficult :) No more no less.

    One of the disappointments of Struts, if it is one, that you have to
    learn and understand the relations between the parts of the framework
    before you get your first application up and running...

    And there is something i call the "dark side of struts": Struts is about
    separating presentation logic from business logic, but why on earth the
    struts people included custom tags to integrate SQL-Statements into the
    presentation tier, god knows...

    But, if you ignore this SQL tags and get the idea, Struts is really
    cool, but:

    The reason i chose Struts for my last project were:

    - everyone talks about the struts thing
    - it is sometimes requested in job offerings

    There might be comparable or even better Frameworks like Tapestry or
    Echo....

    Greetings
    Andreas
    Andreas Wollschlaeger, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Joe

    bOOyah Guest

    In article <bqoed9$ur7$00$-online.com>, postmaster@
    1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa says...
    <snip>
    > The reason i chose Struts for my last project were:
    >
    > - everyone talks about the struts thing
    > - it is sometimes requested in job offerings
    >
    > There might be comparable or even better Frameworks like Tapestry or
    > Echo....

    ....Java Server Faces...

    Can't wait until *that* hits the mainstream ;-)

    Until then Struts is a fine choice for dynamic web apps, especially
    when combined with Tiles. It is popular and well documented (there
    are several books available for it).

    You might also find these useful:
    http://www.waferproject.org/feature-matrix2.html
    http://versionary.com/archives/000026.html

    --
    bOOyah
    bOOyah, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Joe

    Sudsy Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Can someone explain to me briefly the Advantage and DisAdvantage of
    > Jakarta Strut? Of course not all framework are created perfect. I came
    > across to it and it seems a good framework. But again, I know little
    > about struts.
    >
    > Thanks for the responds !

    There's a lot of commonality in requirements and function for web-based
    apps. You can either write your own tool set, reinvent the wheel every
    time, or use a framework. Struts is arguably the most popular one out
    there and does quite a good job, as long as you apply it appropriately.
    The biggest problems I have with it, something others will likely note
    as well, is that the learning curve is steep and documentation sparse.
    Even armed with the book I still find myself digging in the dark
    recesses of the source in order to determine how a particular operation
    is performed. Here's a perfect example I ran into just yesterday:
    <bean:write name="CATEGORY" property="id"/>
    Guess what happens if the signature for the method is 'int getId()'?
    The value is used as the key to a message in your MessageResources!
    Be prepared to encounter a number of these "gotcha"s in Struts.
    That said, once you're familiar with the framework you can develop new
    applications relatively quickly and you won't have to spend time
    debugging the underpinnings.
    Sudsy, Dec 5, 2003