advantages of profile compare to database table

ruthie

Hi,

Becuase I use Web Application Project and not Web Site - the only way
I can use the Profile is by installing "Web Profile Generator".
So I reconsider using the Profile (my project is Ajax Enabled Web
Application so I am afraid of new problems after installing).

What are the advantages of using the Profile instead of using a
regular database table - where I can use Insert,Update... commands for
the properties?

Thanks.
Ruthie.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The main advantages are not having to add any infrastructure code to support
the profile elements, the ability to add additional elements through config
changes and {mind went blank}.

If you have a structured approach to profiling, you may want to go another
direction, to avoid adding the bits. But, I would consider a custom
provider, personally, before heading that direction, as there is a huge
amount of infrastructure around membership, profile and roles that is lost
if you go directly to database tables (and reinvent the wheel, so to speak).
There are certainly cases, where it makes sense to roll your own completely.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!