Advice needed for programming project...

rory

I'm working on a simple system which allows users to develop audio
plugins. The plugins take the form of dll's and I have constructed the
dll so that it looks for a simple text file which determines how the
plugin will work. I need to find a way of getting the dll to load the
right text file, as each text file may be a different effect.

My first idea was that a user would simply rename the dummy dll to the
name of the text file, for example delay.txt, then when the renamed
..dll is loaded it would search for a text file with the same name as
the dll, i.e., delay.txt. This would be the simplest solution from an
end-user point of view, but it's going to involve too much platform
specific code.

Another option would be to provide a little command line application
that would bundle the text file and the dll together but this seems a
little cumbersome. And I don't like the idea of the user needing this
little application in order to create their plugins.

Another solution might be to get users to place a generic .dll and the
text file into one folder whose name is the same as the text file. Then
I could use some kind of GetDir() function in the dll to retrieve the
name of the folder which in turn will give me the name of the text
file. The problem with this is that the host application likes all .dll
to be placed directly into the PlugIns folder, it does not see any dll
which are in a folder within the Plugins folder.

Can anyone think of some way to do this, I'm running out of ideas!

Rory.

red floyd

rory said:
Another solution might be to get users to place a generic .dll and the
text file into one folder whose name is the same as the text file. Then
I could use some kind of GetDir() function in the dll to retrieve the
name of the folder which in turn will give me the name of the text
file. The problem with this is that the host application likes all .dll
to be placed directly into the PlugIns folder, it does not see any dll
which are in a folder within the Plugins folder.

Can anyone think of some way to do this, I'm running out of ideas!

Well, you might start by asking in a newsgroup with Microsoft in its
name. The C++ Standard doesn't discuss dlls or GetDir or folders.

See the FAQ: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9