ahem er em

Blinky the Shark

fritz said:
One summer in Scotland I tried "hagis" and thought it was great. But
then I had it without a significant number of beers first and revised my
opinion.
Sort of like in the eastern part of the state of Pennsylvania in the US
where they eat something called "Scrapple".

Corn meal and sausage. What's the problem? :)

fritz

David said:
fritz wrote:

Only Internet Explorer, AFAIK, uses keywords to reference font sizes in its
UI - and in Quirks mode, I seem to recall that its "medium" is CSSs
"smaller".

The reference is the font size of the parent element though - so you get a
multiplication effect with relative font sizes.

"1.5em", not "1.5 em"

Which is the default

Yes.
I really think that I have the basics now. In the meantime I found this:
http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size_intervals/altintervals.html

f.

fritz

Beauregard said:
Ok then. So ... how's it working. URL? :)
What there is of it is still on my computer. When I get something to
display I'll proudly put it up. But at the moment the ideas that I am
getting here and there are slowly being rolled up to find an approach in
which I will be confident. Also, I think that eventually I will be able
to do this technically but you see, I have this other problem. I havn't
the slightest artistic talent in the world. I make the web page by
standing back and throwing a puddle of html-mud at the screen then
smearing it around till it's sort of readable. Then kick a ballofimages
at it and where it lands is good enough. When that doesn't really work I
copy something. ;-)

talk at you later. I'll be back!!!

f.

Joel Shepherd

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
I *love* scrapple!

Put a bit of maple syrup on it...

Okay, now I really am moving to Canada.

My Dad _loved_ scrapple, so my mom would serve it for breakfast one
Saturday each month. House rules were that you had to eat three bites of
anything served, and those were always without question the most longest
three bites I ever had to take.

Scrapple is the only food I've -- literally -- gagged on. :)
(I'm originally from Harrisburg. <g>)

Pittsburgh, so obviously there's more to love of scrapple than simple
geography. ;-)

Leif K-Brooks

Beauregard said:
I *love* scrapple!

Put a bit of maple syrup on it...

<barf/> This is one of the times when I'm really, really glad to be a
life-long vegetarian.

Toby Inkster

fritz said:
I really wish I could agree with you but my dictionary defines "hobnob"
as a verb, as in getting together to socialize with one of a *higher*
class.

The W3C specification for CSS 2.0 (the latest standard) says that all
lengths and sizes (except line-height) need to be specified with units.
e.g.
font-size: 1.2em;
width: 40%;
height: 50px;

If you leave out the unit, then your CSS is disobeying the CSS 2.0 spec
and your style is undefined.

As we don't like leaving things undefined around here, I developed the T3C
(Tea and Tim-Tams Consortium) CSS 2.a-million specification.

Under T3C CSS 2.a-million, there are various extra units added to the
normal px, pt, %, em, ex, etc. The new units are timtams, hobnobs and
wagonwheels. A timtam is defined as being 1.5 inches, a hobhob as being
1.5 timtams and a wagonwheel as being 1.5 hobnobs. When no unit is
specified, the hobnob comes into play as the "default unit".

Using cheeseburgers as a default goes against any published specification
for CSS. It's a proprietry extension to BigMacrosoft Internet Explorer
2.0, which was released prior to the T3C specification, so had no way of
knowing about hobnobs.

See also:
http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=12
http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=47