AJAX and character

servandomontero

I have a simple AJAX script that sends and retrieves a text file. The
ajax function is called from index.html

var obj = document.getElementById(objID);

xmlHttp.open("GET", "testing.txt", true);
xmlHttp.onreadystatechange = function()
{
if (xmlHttp.readyState == 4 && xmlHttp.status == 200)
{
obj.innerHTML = xmlHttp.responseText;
}
}

xmlHttp.send(null);

The script works OK. I can see the 'testing.txt' file just fine. The
issue is that the file (testing.txt) contains spanish character like:
í, á

and i see this ? instead of those spanish characters.

This is my syntax in my index.html:
<head>
<title>Sample 2_1</title>
charset=iso-8859-1" />

What's wrong?

Is this a server issue? Coz' i'm hosting with Yahoo and i dont have
access to change the configuration of the server, obviously.

Please Help
sm

}

xmlHttp.send(null);

The script works OK. I can see the 'testing.txt' file just fine. The
issue is that the file (testing.txt) contains spanish character like:
í, á

and i see this ? instead of those spanish characters.

This is my syntax in my index.html:
<head>
<title>Sample 2_1</title>
charset=iso-8859-1" />

What's wrong?

Is this a server issue? Coz' i'm hosting with Yahoo and i dont have
access to change the configuration of the server, obviously.

Please Help
sm

The problem is that the server is not setting the header for the
returned data, so it's not processed correctly when it gets to the
client.

THis article should help you figure out how to solve the problem:
http://www.taylanpince.com/blog/AJAX-and-Multibyte-Character-Support.html

SM

Thanks Daz for your answer. Basically what your saying is to use PHP
script instead of a txt file. Got it!
I will try it.

Thanks
sm

Daz

Thanks Daz for your answer. Basically what your saying is to use PHP
script instead of a txt file. Got it!
I will try it.

Thanks
sm

Not necessarily. I am just saying that you should use some kind of
script (be it ASP, PHP, Java, Perl, etc), to read the text file, and
set the header before sending it to the client.