Ajax Compatability Question

Tony

compatibility be? I been scared to include a lot of Javascript into my
sites because I wasn't sure how many people would allow it, but it
seems most major companies are using Javascript for at least form
checking and alerts now a days.

My traffic ratios are
62% IE6
1% IE7
0.4% IE 5.5
31.3% Firefox, mostly 1.0.7 and above
0.2% Netscape, 5.2 and 7.0 each taking equal amounts
0.9% Safari
2.6% unknown
the rest are small portions of each

Please let me know because I would really like to add dynamic
adding/removing of content via AJAX is like 95%+ of the world will
support it. I do not however want to loose customers because they can
not use my site, just to make it more appealing.

Anthony F Greco
www.ChillAxen.com

hiwa

[...]

Use JavaServer Faces(JSF) and Ajax for JavaServer Faces library and you
will never write JavaScript nor XML. You only write JSF view, which is
a hierarchy of components of which AJAX is a subset of their attribute
sets configuration. See https://ajax4jsf.dev.java.net/

Tony

I don't mind writing Javascript one bit. My question is will my users
be able to use it? Are most browsers from the last 3 years compatibile
on the default security settings?

Andrew Thompson

I don't mind writing Javascript one bit.

I mind top-posting a huge bit.
Please refrain from it in future.
....My question is will my users
be able to use it?

Your answer is 'no'.
....Are most browsers from the last 3 years compatibile
on the default security settings?

Perhaps the questions you should be asking first are..
a) are most browsers, with which your potential
customers are visiting your site, even at the
'default' setting.

b) if not, are they even in a position to change that?
(internet cafe, library, work-place..)

(hiwa)
Of course, using a pure HTML interface(?) will give
you access to a wider range of potential clients,
though even then, you'll find someone using an
old (old) browser that crashes when simple
styles are used!

Andrew T.

Deniz Dogan

Top-posting is responding to a post by typing the response at the very
top. If you know what I mean... This is a top-post.

hiwa

I don't mind writing Javascript one bit. My question is will my users
be able to use it? Are most browsers from the last 3 years compatibile
on the default security settings?
Then, go ahead on your own. I don't want to know such low level details
for variety of browser products.
Standard library like Ajax for JSF might have made your life easier,
though.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

compatibility be? I been scared to include a lot of Javascript into my
sites because I wasn't sure how many people would allow it, but it
seems most major companies are using Javascript for at least form
checking and alerts now a days.

My traffic ratios are
62% IE6
1% IE7
0.4% IE 5.5
31.3% Firefox, mostly 1.0.7 and above
0.2% Netscape, 5.2 and 7.0 each taking equal amounts
0.9% Safari
2.6% unknown
the rest are small portions of each

Please let me know because I would really like to add dynamic
adding/removing of content via AJAX is like 95%+ of the world will
support it. I do not however want to loose customers because they can
not use my site, just to make it more appealing.

I think you can count on a very high percentage of JS
support.

But JS support does not imply that your Ajax will always work.

http://www.musingsfrommars.org/2006/03/ajax-dhtml-library-scorecard.html
http://www.musingsfrommars.org/2006/06/howre-we-doing-now-ajax-browsers.html

I will (as other have) recommend an Ajax library of some kind.

Arne