AJAX Problem - 501 Not Implemented

lodge.stuart

Hi

I've written a small AJAX-style UI - although it's not strictly AJAX as
it uses HTML fragments rather than XML

This UI works fine for me and the majority of users.

However, a few users are finding it doesn't work at all.

I've talked with these users and debugged it a little by adding some
trace statements.

Basically what seems to be happening is that while "successful" users
get a normal HTTP response to the XMLHTTP request, these "failed" users
seem to get a "501 Not Implemented" error - even though they are
running the same browser (IE6) and talking to the same web server...

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong here? Is it likely
to be a proxy server problem or some local IE6 setting or ... ?
[Haven't had any failures yet from Firefox users but the majority of
users are on IE5 or IE6]

Any ideas or help appreciated!

Stuart

Demo of the site (with far too much on-screen debug trace) is on
http://82.43.136.28:801/snippets/bpttresults2.htm

Debug trace seen by successful users:

DoAsyncLoadOfAthleteDropdown called
Created Microsoft.XMLHTTP
Browser = Microsoft Internet Explorer
AsyncObject = object
asyncCallback for id OutputDropdown
request.readyState is 1
request sent for
http://www.wavesonix.com:801/snippets/index.html?uniqueNum=1
asyncCallback for id OutputDropdown
request.readyState is 2
asyncCallback for id OutputDropdown
request.readyState is 3
asyncCallback for id OutputDropdown
request.readyState is 4
request.status is 200
request.statusText is OK
request.responseText is - <big blob of text>
request.responseBody is
request.getAllResponseHeaders() is
2005 17:19:07 GMT

Debug trace seen by failed users:

DoAsyncLoadOfAthleteDropdown called
Created Microsoft.XMLHTTP
Browser = Microsoft Internet Explorer
AsyncObject = object
asyncCallback for id OutputDropdown
request.readyState is 1
request sent for
http://www.wavesonix.com:801/snippets/index.html?uniqueNum=1
asyncCallback for id OutputDropdown
request.readyState is 4
request.status is 501
request.statusText is Not Implemented
request.responseText is
request.responseBody is undefined
request.getAllResponseHeaders() is

Martin Honnen

Basically what seems to be happening is that while "successful" users
get a normal HTTP response to the XMLHTTP request, these "failed" users
seem to get a "501 Not Implemented" error - even though they are
running the same browser (IE6) and talking to the same web server...

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong here?

Check the server logs then, 501 is the HTTP status code the server sends
and the logs will show you what kind of HTTP request the server got when
it answered with 501 not implemented. It might be a HTTP POST request on
a static server resource causing this error.

lodge.stuart

Thanks for the quick response....

I've just looked at the logs and the requests from the offending client
PCs seem to be coming through as "get" rather than "GET" ?!

Trying to debug this...

lodge.stuart

That seems to be it!

Some browser configs seem to send "GET" others "get" - all I need to do
is to force them to send "GET"....

Sorted (but if only all browsers did exactly the same thing...)