Algorithm for Packing Registers?

nobull

Google won't let me post this as a follow-up but [email protected] (lynto) wrote in message news: said:
Does anyone have an algorithm for packing registers?

Algorithms are language independant so this question is off topic in
comp.lang.

It appears that you are taking about the famous "packing problem"[1]
which is, I believe, fairly trivially, mathematically equivalent to
the even more famous "travelling salesman" problem. These in turn are
less trivially equivalent to a whole class of mathematical problems
known as NP-complete.

[1] Aka bucketizing, aka backback problem, aka...

There are no known alorithms, other than bute force, that ensure
optimal solutions to NP-complete problems. (I'm not sure if it has
actually been proven that there cannot exist any such algoritms - you
should ask a mathemetician).

Many books and papers have been written on the subject of algorithms
to find reasonably good solutions, most of the time, in a reasonable
time, to NP-complete problems.
Any ideas?

Perhaps you are looking of a Perl _implementation_ of such an
algorithm.

A quick glance on CPAN turned up Algorithm::Bucketizer but I have no
idea how good it is.

here.