Aliasing class methods

Bryan Richardson

Hello all,

I'm having trouble aliasing class methods. I've tried the following,
but got errors saying the method being aliased doesn't exist for class
"Class".

Class Foo
class << self
alias bar bla
end

def self.bla
puts "Hello"
end
end

Foo.bar

Any suggestions? Thanks! -- BTR

Stefano Crocco

Alle Friday 18 January 2008, Bryan Richardson ha scritto:
Hello all,

I'm having trouble aliasing class methods. I've tried the following,
but got errors saying the method being aliased doesn't exist for class
"Class".

Class Foo
class << self
alias bar bla
end

def self.bla
puts "Hello"
end
end

Foo.bar

Any suggestions? Thanks! -- BTR

The alias statement is executed as soon as it's found, i.e before Foo.bla is
defined. Since you can't alias something which doesn't exist, you get an
error. Try switching the order:

Class Foo
class << self
alias bar bla