    Sindre

    --
    Sender med M2, Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram: http://www.opera.com/

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width
    > on large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table
    > but not as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the
    > table, width all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

    a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really trying to
    achieve? URL?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jan 22, 2004

  3. På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:47:35 -0000, skrev William Tasso
    <>:

    > a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really
    > trying to
    > achieve? URL?

    No, sorry, Of course not. I tried to explain as easy as I could. But ok. I
    will use another example: If I want to use a table to display a form. I
    could use col1 to display info and row2 to display input boxes. If one box
    is a textField of 5 rows I have to use rowspan=6 to display the textfield.
    And at the top and bottom there is free space. I want all the space to be
    at the bottom.

    Sindre

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=, Jan 22, 2004
  4. =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

    Richard Guest

    William Tasso wrote:

    > Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width
    >> on large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table
    >> but not as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the
    >> table, width all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

    > a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really trying
    > to achieve? URL?

    Can you just a snswer a simple question with a simple answer for once
    without getting your dandruff all ruffled?
    The person just wants to know how it for a single cell. He may have a table
    with a thousand cells in it for all we know.

    Richard, Jan 22, 2004
  5. =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

    Richard Guest

    Sindre Hiåsen wrote:

    > Hi,

    > How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width on
    > large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but not
    > as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table, width
    > all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

    > Sindre

    This centers the image at the top of the cell.
    valign = top | middle | bottom
    align = left | center | right

    By using a "style" you can define a background image for the entire table
    and position it as desired.

    Richard, Jan 22, 2004
  6. På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:25:11 -0600, skrev Richard <anonymous@127.000>:

    > Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width

    > on
    > > large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but

    > not
    > > as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table, width
    > > all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

    > > Sindre

    > This centers the image at the top of the cell.
    > valign = top | middle | bottom
    > align = left | center | right
    >
    > By using a "style" you can define a background image for the entire table
    > and position it as desired.

    Thank you, that solved many questions. I have one more then. If I put a
    table inside another table i can't use valign. Is there some way to
    vertical align this to the top. Of course I don't need to nest tables but
    I often use it. One example is that I have a table in the main page and
    inside it I want to include a header file which also is a table and a
    footer and content are tables to. I know there is other ways to display
    this information but can it be solved width tables. In short is there a
    way o valign a table inside another table?

    Sindre

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=, Jan 22, 2004
  7. =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

    Richard Guest

    Sindre Hiåsen wrote:

    > På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:25:11 -0600, skrev Richard <anonymous@127.000>:

    >> Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
    >>
    > >> Hi,

    > >> How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width

    >> on
    > >> large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but

    >> not
    > >> as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table,
    > >> width all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

    > >> Sindre

    >> This centers the image at the top of the cell.
    >> valign = top | middle | bottom
    >> align = left | center | right
    >>
    >> By using a "style" you can define a background image for the entire
    >> table and position it as desired.

    > Thank you, that solved many questions. I have one more then. If I put a
    > table inside another table i can't use valign. Is there some way to
    > vertical align this to the top. Of course I don't need to nest tables but
    > I often use it. One example is that I have a table in the main page and
    > inside it I want to include a header file which also is a table and a
    > footer and content are tables to. I know there is other ways to display
    > this information but can it be solved width tables. In short is there a
    > way o valign a table inside another table?

    > Sindre

    This might be of help to you to understand how tables work.

    http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/tables.htm

    Has a very good graphical description of what you can do with tables.

    Richard, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Richard wrote:
    > William Tasso wrote:
    >
    > > Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table

    > width >> on large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as
    > the table >> but not as high. what I want is to display this at the
    > top of the >> table, width all free space at the bottom. Is this
    > possible?
    >

    > > a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really

    > trying > to achieve? URL?
    >
    > Can you just a snswer a simple question with a simple answer for once

    Richard, I have, so far, stayed out of the nonsense you have generated in
    this group and elsewhere.

    > without getting your dandruff all ruffled?

    Your attempts to bring every discussion down to an issue or personalities
    are becoming just too much of a bore. So much so that it's been months
    since I bothered to scan any thread started by you.

    > The person just wants to know how it for a single cell. He may have a
    > table with a thousand cells in it for all we know.

    Get a life - you really are a most pathetic example of the human condition.
    Your incessant whinging appears to know no bounds. If you used half as much
    energy to perfect the craft of site building as you use for moaning your
    skills at the former would give you less cause for the latter.

    I should think you would improve your life considerably were you to add my
    nic to your kill filter.

    HTH Good day to you (HAND)

    Toodle-pip
    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
    > På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:47:35 -0000, skrev William Tasso
    > <>:
    >
    >> a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really
    >> trying to
    >> achieve? URL?

    > No, sorry, Of course not. I tried to explain as easy as I could. But
    > ok. I will use another example: If I want to use a table to display a
    > form. I could use col1 to display info and row2 to display input
    > boxes.

    ok - a two column table.

    > If one box is a textField of 5 rows I have to use rowspan=6 to
    > display the textfield.

    doubtful - depends on what else you're doing with the table.

    > And at the top and bottom there is free space.
    > I want all the space to be at the bottom.

    valign="top" on the td element should do it.

    There has been considerable discussion in this group (and elsewhere) whether
    an input form is a suitable candidate for table markup. I'm sure you'll
    find many references in the archive at http://groups.google.com

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Leif K-Brooks, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Richard wrote:
    > This might be of help to you to understand how tables work.

    Are you sure that you know?

    > http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/tables.htm

    How is a domain name that doesn't resolve going to help anyone learn
    about tables?

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 22, 2004
  12. =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> This might be of help to you to understand how tables work.

    > Are you sure that you know?
    >
    >> http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/tables.htm

    > How is a domain name that doesn't resolve going to help anyone learn
    > about tables?

    It loads for me.

    Nik Coughin, Jan 22, 2004
  13. =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

    Richard Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
    >> If I put a table inside another table

    > http://dorward.me.uk/www/nested/

    "HTML was never designed to be a layout language"

    HUH?

    The whole purpose of HTML is to get your idea to the populace in a common,
    easily understood, manner.
    Without tables, before there was CSS, how was one to present any kind of a
    formal layout?
    It was common, and acceptable practice to use tables for presentation.
    Just because certain people say you should use only CSS, doesn't mean tables
    can not be used.
    While the words "table" and "tabular" appear to go hand in hand, that does
    not mean that tables can be used only for tabular data.

    The so called flow chart on that page is designed to instill fear on the
    reader that tables are an absolute no no for anything other than tabular
    data.

    So what then does w3c.org have to say about table use?

    "The HTML table model allows authors to arrange data -- text, preformatted
    text, images, links, forms, form fields, other tables, etc. -- into rows and
    columns of cells."
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html

    Ahhhhhh but even they shoot themselves down........

    "Tables should not be used purely as a means to layout document content as
    this may present problems when rendering to non-visual media. Additionally,
    when used with graphics, these tables may force users to scroll horizontally
    to view a table designed on a system with a larger display. To minimize
    these problems, authors should use style sheets to control layout rather
    than tables."

    Heaven forbid we should ever have need of the hated horizontal scrollbar.
    So if some idiot comes to my site, which I have designed for an 800x600
    size, and he's using 400x300, guess what? I get an e-mail bitchin and whinin
    about how he had to scroll horizontally.

    That's like 99.8% of Americans having to bend over backwards because 0.2%
    have aids.

    I'm not about to bend over backwards just to please 1 out of 10,000.

    --!--------------------------------------------------!--
    "Lord of the BULL" and damn proud of it!

    Richard, Jan 22, 2004
  14. =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

    Richard Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>> This might be of help to you to understand how tables work.

    >> Are you sure that you know?
    >>
    >>> http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/tables.htm

    >> How is a domain name that doesn't resolve going to help anyone learn
    >> about tables?

    > It loads for me.

    Any time leif visits a site that has tables in it, it crashes his browser.

    Richard, Jan 22, 2004
  15. Richard wrote:
    > "HTML was never designed to be a layout language"
    >
    > HUH?
    >
    > The whole purpose of HTML is to get your idea to the populace in a common,
    > easily understood, manner.

    Right. What does getting your idea across have to do with making your
    idea look pretty?

    > Without tables, before there was CSS, how was one to present any kind of a
    > formal layout?

    We couldn't, and we had to resort to all sorts of evil hacks. Luckily,
    those days are over.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 22, 2004