align top in a table

?

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

Hi,

How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width on
large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but not
as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table, width all
free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

Sindre

William Tasso

Sindre said:
Hi,

How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width
on large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table
but not as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the
table, width all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really trying to
achieve? URL?

?

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:47:35 -0000, skrev William Tasso
a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really
trying to
achieve? URL?

No, sorry, Of course not. I tried to explain as easy as I could. But ok. I
will use another example: If I want to use a table to display a form. I
could use col1 to display info and row2 to display input boxes. If one box
is a textField of 5 rows I have to use rowspan=6 to display the textfield.
And at the top and bottom there is free space. I want all the space to be
at the bottom.

Sindre

Richard

William said:
a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really trying
to achieve? URL?

Can you just a snswer a simple question with a simple answer for once
without getting your dandruff all ruffled?
The person just wants to know how it for a single cell. He may have a table
with a thousand cells in it for all we know.

Richard

Sindre said:
How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width on
large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but not
as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table, width
all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

This centers the image at the top of the cell.
valign = top | middle | bottom
align = left | center | right

By using a "style" you can define a background image for the entire table
and position it as desired.

?

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

This centers the image at the top of the cell.
valign = top | middle | bottom
align = left | center | right

By using a "style" you can define a background image for the entire table
and position it as desired.
Thank you, that solved many questions. I have one more then. If I put a
table inside another table i can't use valign. Is there some way to
vertical align this to the top. Of course I don't need to nest tables but
I often use it. One example is that I have a table in the main page and
inside it I want to include a header file which also is a table and a
footer and content are tables to. I know there is other ways to display
this information but can it be solved width tables. In short is there a
way o valign a table inside another table?

Sindre

Richard

Sindre said:
På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:25:11 -0600, skrev Richard <[email protected]>:
Thank you, that solved many questions. I have one more then. If I put a
table inside another table i can't use valign. Is there some way to
vertical align this to the top. Of course I don't need to nest tables but
I often use it. One example is that I have a table in the main page and
inside it I want to include a header file which also is a table and a
footer and content are tables to. I know there is other ways to display
this information but can it be solved width tables. In short is there a
way o valign a table inside another table?

This might be of help to you to understand how tables work.

http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/tables.htm

Has a very good graphical description of what you can do with tables.

William Tasso

Richard said:
width >> on large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as
the table >> but not as high. what I want is to display this at the
top of the >> table, width all free space at the bottom. Is this
possible?

trying > to achieve? URL?

Can you just a snswer a simple question with a simple answer for once

Richard, I have, so far, stayed out of the nonsense you have generated in
this group and elsewhere.
without getting your dandruff all ruffled?

Your attempts to bring every discussion down to an issue or personalities
are becoming just too much of a bore. So much so that it's been months
since I bothered to scan any thread started by you.
The person just wants to know how it for a single cell. He may have a
table with a thousand cells in it for all we know.

Get a life - you really are a most pathetic example of the human condition.
Your incessant whinging appears to know no bounds. If you used half as much
energy to perfect the craft of site building as you use for moaning your
skills at the former would give you less cause for the latter.

I should think you would improve your life considerably were you to add my
nic to your kill filter.

HTH Good day to you (HAND)

Toodle-pip

William Tasso

Sindre said:
På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:47:35 -0000, skrev William Tasso

No, sorry, Of course not. I tried to explain as easy as I could. But
ok. I will use another example: If I want to use a table to display a
form. I could use col1 to display info and row2 to display input
boxes.

ok - a two column table.
If one box is a textField of 5 rows I have to use rowspan=6 to
display the textfield.

doubtful - depends on what else you're doing with the table.
And at the top and bottom there is free space.
I want all the space to be at the bottom.

valign="top" on the td element should do it.

There has been considerable discussion in this group (and elsewhere) whether
an input form is a suitable candidate for table markup. I'm sure you'll
find many references in the archive at http://groups.google.com

Richard

"HTML was never designed to be a layout language"

HUH?

The whole purpose of HTML is to get your idea to the populace in a common,
easily understood, manner.
Without tables, before there was CSS, how was one to present any kind of a
formal layout?
It was common, and acceptable practice to use tables for presentation.
Just because certain people say you should use only CSS, doesn't mean tables
can not be used.
While the words "table" and "tabular" appear to go hand in hand, that does
not mean that tables can be used only for tabular data.

The so called flow chart on that page is designed to instill fear on the
reader that tables are an absolute no no for anything other than tabular
data.

So what then does w3c.org have to say about table use?

"The HTML table model allows authors to arrange data -- text, preformatted
text, images, links, forms, form fields, other tables, etc. -- into rows and
columns of cells."
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html

Ahhhhhh but even they shoot themselves down........

"Tables should not be used purely as a means to layout document content as
this may present problems when rendering to non-visual media. Additionally,
when used with graphics, these tables may force users to scroll horizontally
to view a table designed on a system with a larger display. To minimize
these problems, authors should use style sheets to control layout rather
than tables."

Heaven forbid we should ever have need of the hated horizontal scrollbar.
So if some idiot comes to my site, which I have designed for an 800x600
size, and he's using 400x300, guess what? I get an e-mail bitchin and whinin
about how he had to scroll horizontally.

That's like 99.8% of Americans having to bend over backwards because 0.2%
have aids.

I'm not about to bend over backwards just to please 1 out of 10,000.

--!--------------------------------------------------!--
"Lord of the BULL" and damn proud of it!

Leif K-Brooks

Richard said:
"HTML was never designed to be a layout language"

HUH?

The whole purpose of HTML is to get your idea to the populace in a common,
easily understood, manner.

Right. What does getting your idea across have to do with making your
idea look pretty?
Without tables, before there was CSS, how was one to present any kind of a
formal layout?

We couldn't, and we had to resort to all sorts of evil hacks. Luckily,
those days are over.