all possible matchings of elements of two lists

Sandy

Hi all,
I basically want all possible matchings of elements from two lists,
Ex: [1,2] [a,b,c]

Required:
[ [(1,a),(2,b)]
[(1,b),(2,c)]
[(1,c),(2,b)]
[(1,b),(2,a)]
[(1,c),(2,a)]
[(1,a),(2,c)]
]

My thought is to get all possible permutations of two lists given and
select any combination and use zip to get the tuples. Repeat this for
all possible combinations.

Any other ideas?
Sandy

dksr

Ok this is how I do it:
l1 = [1,2]
l2= ['a','b','c']
res = []
l2 = permute(l2)
for i in l2:
lis = [l1,l2]
res.append(zip(*lis))
# or use map depending on what u want
res.append(map(None,*lis))

print res

Mark Dickinson

Hi all,
I basically want all possible matchings of elements from two lists,
Ex: [1,2] [a,b,c]

Required:
   [ [(1,a),(2,b)]
     [(1,b),(2,c)]
     [(1,c),(2,b)]
     [(1,b),(2,a)]
     [(1,c),(2,a)]
     [(1,a),(2,c)]
   ]

If you're using Python 2.6 (or 3.1), you might find the itertools
module helpful:

Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Aug 26 2009, 09:40:44)
[GCC 4.2.1 (SUSE Linux)] on linux2
import itertools
for p in itertools.permutations('abc', 2): print zip([1,2], p)
[(1, 'a'), (2, 'b')]
[(1, 'a'), (2, 'c')]
[(1, 'b'), (2, 'a')]
[(1, 'b'), (2, 'c')]
[(1, 'c'), (2, 'a')]
[(1, 'c'), (2, 'b')]

Jan Kaliszewski

26-08-2009 o 12:05:41 Sandy said:
Hi all,
I basically want all possible matchings of elements from two lists,
Ex: [1,2] [a,b,c]

Required:
[ [(1,a),(2,b)]
[(1,b),(2,c)]
[(1,c),(2,b)]
[(1,b),(2,a)]
]

My thought is to get all possible permutations of two lists given and
select any combination and use zip to get the tuples. Repeat this for
all possible combinations.

Any other ideas?

See: module itertools -- there are (OOTB) some combinatoric generators
that may be useful for you.

*j