ALL 'try/catch/finally' NOT created equal?

Ralph Krausse

I created a try/catch/finally but when an expection is thrown, the
catch does not handle it... (I know this code is wrong, I want to
force the error for this example)

try
{
DataSet ds = new DataSet();
string strID = ds.Tables[0].Rows[0][0].ToString();
}
catch (SqlXmlException sqlxmlerr)
{
sqlxmlerr.ErrorStream.Position = 0;
StreamReader errreader = new StreamReader(sqlxmlerr.ErrorStream);
string err =errreader.ReadToEnd();
errreader.Close();
throw new Exception (err);
}
finally

This is a ASP.NET application and when the code hits 'string strID =
ds.Tables[0].Rows[0][0].ToString();' the exception is throw and the
result below is displayed in the browser.

*************

Cannot find table 0.

Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Cannot find table
0.

Source Error:

Line 29: {
Line 30: DataSet ds = new DataSet();
Line 31: strID = ds.Tables[0].Rows[0][0].ToString();
Line 32: }
Line 33: catch (SqlXmlException sqlxmlerr)

*************

Now, if I replace SqlXmlException with System.Exception in the
catch(), the try/catch handles they way I thought and no browser error
happens, the code goes directly to my catch (during debugging, I made
sure).....

So my question.

Just because I have a try/catch doesn't mean it will ALWAYS catch
an exception. I guess I have proven this but wanted confirmation. So
how do I know what exception class to use? Where can I find this
information.

Thanks

Ralph Krausse
www.consiliumsoft.com
Use the START button? Then you need CSFastRunII...
A new kind of application launcher integrated in the taskbar!
ScreenShot - http://www.consiliumsoft.com/ScreenShot.jpg

Shiva

Hi,
Your code only catches SqlXmlException, but what is thrown is something
else; the code actually throws IndexOutOfRangeException. For this (& its
derivatives) to be caught, you have to add another catch block hadling this
specific exception:
try
catch (SqlXmlException sqlXmlErr)
catch (IndexOutOfRangeException idxErr)

To catch all exceptions in a single catch block, have a catch for the base
exception System.Exception, which is the root for all exception classes:

try
catch (Exception xcp)

Hope this helps.

[...]

Karl

You can order your catches:
try{
}catch (SqlXmlException sqlxmlerr){
}catch (SqlException ex){
}finally{ }

Always go from most specific to least, if you switched those around and did:
try{
}catch (SqlException ex){
}catch (SqlXmlException exsqlxmlerr
}finally{ }

your 2nd catch would happen since your first one would swollow any
exceptions. As for knowing what code throws what exceptions, check the
documentation.

Cyrus from the C# team recently posted about something similar:
http://weblogs.asp.net/cyrusn/archive/2004/08/13/214006.aspx

Karl