Allocating an array.array of a specific length in pyrex

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Lambacher, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I have to do some data manipulation that needs to be fast. I had a
    generator approach (that was faster than a list approch) which was
    taking approximately 5 seconds to run both encode and decode.

    I have done a conversion to pyrex and have gotten it down to about 2
    seconds to run both encode and decode. An an excerpt from the pyrex
    code is included below. My question is, is there a better way to
    allocate the memory for the array.array object than:
    a = array.array('B', [0] * (pixels * 2))

    I already know what the lenght is going to be do I have to give it a
    sequence(in this case a list of zeros) or is there a C interface that
    I can use to tell array to allocate memory for pixels*2 unsigned
    chars.

    I would prefer to not get into using Numeric or Numarray(I know I can
    do it with them).

    Yes the algorithm is functionally correct. I know I am throwing away
    data. Rest assured that the entropy has been changed such that the
    data thrown away does not matter (too much).

    Thanks
    -Chris

    import array
    cdef extern from "Python.h":
    int PyObject_AsWriteBuffer(object obj, void **buffer, int *buffer_len)
    int PyObject_AsReadBuffer(object obj, void **buffer, int *buffer_len)

    cdef int get_w_buffer(obj, unsigned char **data, int *length) except -1:
    cdef int result
    cdef void *vd
    # use a void *
    result = PyObject_AsWriteBuffer(obj, &vd, length)
    data[0] = <unsigned char *>vd
    return result

    cdef int get_r_buffer(obj, unsigned char **data, int *length) except -1:
    cdef int result
    cdef void *vd
    # use a void *
    result = PyObject_AsReadBuffer(obj, &vd, length)
    data[0] = <unsigned char *>vd
    return result

    def encode(int w, int h, in_a):
    cdef unsigned int pixels, a_off, str_off
    cdef int res, inlen, buffer_len
    cdef unsigned char *in_str, *out_str

    res = get_r_buffer(in_a, &in_str, &inlen)
    if res:
    raise Exception, "Could not get a readable buffer from the input"

    pixels = w * h
    a = array.array('B', [0] * (pixels * 2))
    res = get_w_buffer(a, &out_str, &buffer_len)
    if res:
    raise Exception, "Could not get a writeable buffer to write to"

    str_off = 0
    a_off = 0
    while a_off < buffer_len and str_off < inlen:
    out_str[a_off] = in_str[str_off]
    out_str[a_off+1] = (in_str[str_off+1] + in_str[str_off+4])/2
    out_str[a_off+2] = in_str[str_off+3]
    out_str[a_off+3] = (in_str[str_off+2] + in_str[str_off+5])/2

    str_off = str_off + 6
    a_off = a_off + 4

    return a

    --